How do i make more power out of my olds 307.....help

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriscutlass

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2010
NEW JERSEY GEMORCLER FOUNDER :)
hi all again im tryin to sqeeze as much power as possible outa my 307...any suggestions are welcome and if possible please tell me how much these parts cost or how to do them... i recently did a complete tune up...cap rotor plugs wires,oil,oil filter,engine flush,k&n filter,pcv valve,carbon filter,crank case filter, but im tryin to get a lil more power to this car than it has.. i found out when i swaped the differential oil that i have a posi with 3.73's and just recently i also found out i have a t350 trans but my 307 only has so much stock power all help is much appreciated

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
The easiest (and probably least expensive) is to replace your 307 with either a 403 or 455. For less than what it would realistically cost to upgrade a 307 for power, you could pick up a used, good running Olds engine, clean it up, re-gasket, paint and install it. :mrgreen:

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
Edelbrock Q series carb and intake and cam are easy swaps. I dont think you can use the 1400 series because i bet your carb is computer controlled. Maybe some smog legal headers with O2 sensor. Open element air cleaner. MSD ignition/Distributer with Multispark box. THose are the cheapest and most simple.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
change all your fluids, engine, transmission and rear end to synthetic..

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Advanced curve kit to kick up the timeing & give her some pep. Headers, as they could carry forward to a 350/403. Other than that as listed biggest bang for the buck will be an engine swap. Not that a performance rebuild can't make power just that its not cost effective compared to the cost of a motor swap. Search and you will find this topic many time on this board in the past.

art

Greasemonkey
Apr 24, 2009
Absecon, New Jersey
Hot coil, set intial to 22 degrees, Cold air intake.
Coil $60.00
timing, free
cold air prolly under twenty bucks with some dryer duct and imagination. Don't forget to disable the air heater tube on the snorkle.
If all of that gives you 5 extra hp (don't laugh) It was some of the least expensive power you will ever get. And all of the stuff you bought you can re use on what ever you step up to. Or sell it to the next guy "coming up" behind you.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
anthonychacon80 said:
Edelbrock Q series carb and intake and cam are easy swaps. I dont think you can use the 1400 series because i bet your carb is computer controlled. Maybe some smog legal headers with O2 sensor. Open element air cleaner. MSD ignition/Distributer with Multispark box. THose are the cheapest and most simple.

If his 307 is the original to the '87 engine, then he can't swap on an aftermarket intake or simple camshaft. This is one of the roller cammed engines which means the ports in the heads are roughly HALF the size of the normal, non-roller engines. So any aftermarket intake will have a severe port mismatch. Not to mention a cam upgrade would be expensive as well.

Headers, true duals would be the biggest bang for the buck. All of the spark stuff like boxes and coils, etc I've found to do nothing for HP. At least on a 307.

The biggest thing I've found to work is to double check the timing! Mine was retarded by 12* and when I reset it to factory specs, it was like a completely different engine. Still really slow but at least not AS slow. :lol:

dogshit said:
Advanced curve kit to kick up the timeing & give her some pep.

Vern, that won't work if he still has the computer controlled distributor. ;)

Realistically, the cheapest thing to do with it is to just do the minor tune up stuff and drive it until you can afford a 350/403/425/455 Olds swap.

gto78

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2010
Port St Lucie, Florida
Lets get a supercharger on that sucker. Force feed some cubic inches into those cylinders, not too much just 3 or 4 psi...Get the exhaust system flowing with real dual pipes and headers like others just mentioned.

Can you swap an older non computer distributor into that version of the engine? I think going that route would let you experiment with the timing curve.

Just on a side note, the timing curve was pretty critical to getting our Pontiac to perform it's best- we screwed up and put the wrong curve kit weights in one week and our 1/4 times dropped from 12.6's to 13.8's. We spent two weeks in a row taking things apart and checking compressions etc. before figuring out the timing curve was messed up.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Opps forgot myself. CCC has been a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor