how do you get rid of them tabs on the bottom of the door?

Status
Not open for further replies.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
i just bought doors for my regal. finally i found some! i do not want to run that chrome trim on the bottom. i have the piece off on the bottom, should i just grind them tabs flush? also. what would be the best way of getting rid of the big holes at the ends where the big tabs were?

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
You can do what I did. I ground off the tabs and whatever holes where there I fiberglassed them. If you know someone with a welder they can weld in some patches. I just mixed up some fiberglass resin and cut some small squares of fiberglass mat. Once it set I sanded it down and feathered it out with a little body filler. Just make sure you take it down to bare metal.

I even did the same thing to the stupid directionals on top of the fenders. This is the cheap way out. Welding is the correct way but I had to work with what I had.

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
Grab the little tabs with a good pair of vice grips and twist. They pop right off (sounds kinda neat). This keeps the damage to the size of the peg. If you grind them it takes longer, heats the metal more causing more warpage, and usually leads to a gouge on either side.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Just keep the tab parallel to the panel when you twist, don't impart a sideways motion or they will warp and dent the metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor