how do you identify a 1987 442?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-TOP TONY

Master Mechanic
Jun 13, 2008
san bernardino, ca
www.instagram.com
my friend was sold this 1987 cutlass with t-tops, euro clip, and it has bucket seats with the shifter in the middle would this be a 442 or just a regular cutlass how can i find out?

does it say 442 on it? :lol:

83cut350chev said:
does it say 442 on it? :lol:

well if it did i wouldnt be asking! lol! the car does not have the original paint so im just trying to find out how to identify it either by the vin like the monte ss!

Look for a 9 in the 8th digit place in the vin.

That is the easiest way to tell. Without the 9 in the vin, its just a cutlass.

Now, as to what kind of cutlass, they had the salon which could have t tops, center console and bucket seats. So it could be that.

I think we had a thread not too long ago where we found out the 442 had a different VIN code for the HO307. Dunno if that was for '87 or not. Other giveaways would be the sport steering wheel, the 442 emblems in the door panels (or where they were) and the rally gauge pack, and the 8.5" rear end (I think)

The RPO codes for the Service Parts Identification sticker under the trunk lid for a Cutlass can be found here: http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5155 It will tell you everything you need to know about the car's original equipment.

This is not hard. Everything discussed above EXCEPT the VIN can be added to any Cutlass. Check the VIN. The code "9" engine instead of the usual code "Y" was only used in the 442. No 442s were built with the VIN Y motor.

The vin 9 engine is not that hard to find though and often for cheap. The other body vins though would be tough to acquire. On top of that an 87 442 aint bringing Hemi dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor