How do you know front clip is lined up with body?

Gnfanatic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2020
Good morning everyone, replaced all my body mount bushings on my 1986 GN. I know the frame has holes to align with body and I did that but is there any holes to align front clip?? My front clip moved side to side quite a bit when replacing the bushings. I am not sure if it is a visual thing or there are alignment holes. I cannot go by door gaps because they were removed for new door hinges.

thanks!!!

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
You will need to work backwards if you lost the door alignment.

Get the door gap set to rocker and rear quarter. Then use the radiator support bushings to set the height of the front clip. Up or down will change the door to fender gap.
I centered my radiator support bushings and my hood fit perfectly but the hood will determine if you need to move the front left or right. Maybe a diagonal measurement will set you up there.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Gnfanatic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2020
You will need to work backwards if you lost the door alignment.

Get the door gap set to rocker and rear quarter. Then use the radiator support bushings to set the height of the front clip. Up or down will change the door to fender gap.
I centered my radiator support bushings and my hood fit perfectly but the hood will determine if you need to move the front left or right. Maybe a diagonal measurement will set you up there.
Thanks for the reply! Do you know what the gap between door and quarter is suppose to be?

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
I have read somewhere (can't remember for sure) that a good gap measuring tool is the thickness of a wooden paint stick.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Gnfanatic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2020
I have read somewhere (can't remember for sure) that a good gap measuring tool is the thickness of a wooden paint stick.
I think that is a very small gap for gbody and GM 80-90's cars. My friend has the whole service manual , I am going to see if it states it

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Off the top of my head it is .1-.3". Never seen one that was as tight as .1 so to me that is the best case scenario.

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
IM going to say about .25 if the age and time allowd for satisfaction .the actual door metal any shims ect ect.main thing the front finder face should be 1/16 further out(away from center) then then the face of the door skin .for clearence adjustments can be annoying. Don't forget to set the latch post if the door raised with new henges and door should be level to face of quarter panel here .Sometimes a matter of good compromises

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I used paint sticks that were exactly 1/8th or .125. Worked well.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor