how to get clean,simple affective audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

topstring

Apprentice
Jan 10, 2009
Tennessee
I have an 82 malibu wagon and just bought a new pioneer deh044hd head unit.I just want clean music,not loud blaring or thumping.Just loud enough to hear with the glass down or over my pipes.I tried new pioneer 3.5 fronts but they just distorted when lit up with the stock unit..bought some cheapo 6.5's in a box for the rear..distort. So I am thinking replace the front dash speakers with lower door panel 6'5s and replace the factory 4x10's with new ones since they do offer some bass being in the quarters,along with a 10' sub/box....I have installed head units,but not got into amps and bass blockers etc.Would i need an amp for all speakers? or just the rear sub? or rear sub AND 4x10's? Thanks

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
the distortion occurs more as you higher the volume on your headunit, so to be able to play louder without distortion your going to need an amp. I would get a four channel amp for your 3.5's and 4x10's and another one for your sub. In my opinion the key is to Remember you get what you pay for, cheaper components will give you more distortion and less power.. Make sure you get high quality RCA's and speaker wire and if you cannot afford decent components, just save until you can. It will save you all the headaches from damn alternator while and static, plus its embarrassing :rofl:

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Before you buy, post here what you are considering. So we can advise whether it's good or not.

Like richp85elco said, get a 4 channel amp for the fronts and rears. And a mono amp for your sub(s).
You *may* need passive crossovers for the component speakers, but that can be added later. For the sub, the cleanest sound, it's best to use an eq or crossover, some amps have the crossover built in, but I still prefer to use a separate one -- it makes a huge difference in sound quality.

I suggest using one of these sites:

sonicelectronix.com
onlinecarstereo.com
woofersetc.com

I was young once and ended up buy crap that was supposed to give me 600Watts of bass from 2 x 12" subs. Yes, that was embarrassing. It was cheap, and didn't even break 10 watts. Later on I learned to stick to high end components, and look at the RMS watts rating (not the "total power" rating which is garbage).

383S10

Master Mechanic
Mar 16, 2008
Toney, AL
I went a simple system in my Regal.....I got me a Delco Monsoon CD player out of a 2002 Camaro which was direct fit with a little fabbing.....it has a built in amp can plug into the factory harness with the help of a Metra 12 to 21 plug adapter and I topped it off with 6 x 9 MbQuart 3 ways/rear and Infinity 3.5 2 ways/front.....can hear it cleanly over my dual exhaust with the windows down.........and 2 more things people cant believe its in there and no one wants to steal it.............

ATLMonte88

Apprentice
Apr 4, 2012
ATL, Georgia
the 3.5 inch speakers can still be used if you dont want to go the 6.5 kick pannel route, just buy something of quality. personally ive owned and blown out 2 sets of pioneers. decided to step up and buy some Polk audio 3.5's and Polk audio 6x9's for the rear (needed 4x10 to 6x9 adaptors) IMO: 4x10s are a waste of time and money, none of them are made by quality companies and they dont have enough surface area to cover your mid range.. this will help you out alot, but to get that crisp sound you deff need an amp to atleast push the rear speakers... A 10 inch subwoofer and amp (mono or 2 channel bridged) would sound very clean in a sealed box, wouldnt have too much BOOM from that combo but just enough bass to help out your sound stage. keep in mind when buying a subwoofer dont go cheap!!! i'd suggest looking at Sundown Audio, they are an amazing company based in the USA and will absoutly crush the competition and sound great while doing it... dont worry about crossovers until you know what you are doing, some speaker sets come with external passives crossovers(component sets) and deff avoid active crossovers, they can be a huge pain to set properly and unless you know about db octives and slopes then i'd avoid active personally. the polks i suggested have built in crossovers fyi. one thing i also did in my monte was splice some tweeters with built in crossovers into my front channel and mounted them on my sunvisor mounts..
a few things to take note on, AMPS: always buy amps that are CEA-2006 compliant, this means they produce the advertised RMS wattage (dont pay attention to max wattage, look at the RMS wattage) also make sure the sub(s) you buy are going to be able to wire up to the ohm load that the amp can accept. most amps are 2ohm stable but some 2 channels in bridged mode will only be 4ohm stable, pay attentiion to this or you WILL fry your gear.. hit me up if you need some more advice.

topstring

Apprentice
Jan 10, 2009
Tennessee
Thanks for the advice.I feel very uneducated now,having installed several head units over the years for family etc.As i sit here with my $40 sony home sound surround tickeling my ears..i just want that sound..deep bass,,high highs..amped..but obviously the audio language is over my head.Guess Ill have to learn ...or take my home system out there to my wagon....ps.6x9 adapters wont work in the wagon.

383S10

Master Mechanic
Mar 16, 2008
Toney, AL
topstring said:
Thanks for the advice.I feel very uneducated now,having installed several head units over the years for family etc.As i sit here with my $40 sony home sound surround tickeling my ears..i just want that sound..deep bass,,high highs..amped..but obviously the audio language is over my head.Guess Ill have to learn ...or take my home system out there to my wagon....ps.6x9 adapters wont work in the wagon.
In the wagons we mount them in in boxes two singles or two duals............

http://www.google.com/search?q=6+x+9+bo ... 24&bih=629

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Great tips guys. Don't forget to add sound deadener to the trunk so it doesn't rattle if you add subs.. If you can add it the the cabin and doors as well much quieter ride and you hear the sound system alot better. Never mind just read you had a wagon so forget the "trunk" comment but if you can do the rest. :wink:

topstring

Apprentice
Jan 10, 2009
Tennessee
OK now a couple more questions.Can i use small mount anywhere up front tweeters and get the same affect that the 3.5's have? also a/m 3.5's always fit tiught or impossible to get in.
2. Since i have a wagon,should i just delete the 4x6's and say put a 10 sub with 2 6x9's in a box?

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
IMO, if you can modify your 4x10 holes or use an adapter to make a set of good quality 6x9s fit, then do that.

Otherwise scrap that idea (although they can sound good, the best quality bass comes from *round* speakers as opposed to oval) and use a pair of 6" components for midrange, something high end that sounds good, like MB Quart Q series (comes with a 6" midrange and 1" tweeter).

Of course, use that along with your sub box.

Your front 3.5s have some mids as well as highs. If you replace them with 1" tweeters you'll lose out on some of the midrange sound. Find a good set that fits, as there's so may variations of 3.5s our there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor