how to identify a 350 rocket motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viera

Greasemonkey
Jan 29, 2011
hi guys, i found a local guy selling a 1972 350 rocket engine. as some of u guys know im new and i have no clue on how to identify if it is a 350 rocket engine. so im asking on what to look for when i go there tomorrow? any help would be appreciated.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
viera said:
hi guys, i found a local guy selling a 1972 350 rocket engine. as some of u guys know im new and i have no clue on how to identify if it is a 350 rocket engine. so im asking on what to look for when i go there tomorrow? any help would be appreciated.

If it's an unmolested, unpainted engine; The block should be painted gold, no EGR on the intake if it's a '72, ID code for the heads should be 7a (casting 409147), I couldn't find a quick reference for the block casting. If you've never seen this before it isn't a bad place to read up on a few things. http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/oldsfaq.htm#Table of Contents

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
G-Body_Vet said:
viera said:

If it's an unmolested, unpainted engine; The block should be painted gold, no EGR on the intake if it's a '72, ID code for the heads should be 7a (casting 409147), I couldn't find a quick reference for the block casting. If you've never seen this before it isn't a bad place to read up on a few things. http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/oldsfaq.htm#Table of Contents

First, you hopefully are aware that "rocket" is purely a marketing term with no performance implications. Don't pay extra for the "rocket", all Olds V8s since 1949 were called "rocket". Second, start with the block casting number, which is located on the small shelf above the water pump, where the oil fill tube is located. A 1968-1976 350 block will have casting number 395558.

viera

Greasemonkey
Jan 29, 2011
thanks a lot guys. im gong to see the motor later this afternoon and no im not paying much for the motor. the guy said it only has 75k on it and its been stting for 4 years. he is asking 300 obo for it no transmission. im thinking 200-250 will see..

viera

Greasemonkey
Jan 29, 2011
got the motor today guys for 200. ill post some pics up for u guys

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Like Joe said it's purely a marketing term, but many people think it means that it has more power than other years of Olds engines.

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
A $3.50 sticker will make any Olds motor a "Rocket" :lol:

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor