How to Rebuild a Vapor Canister

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
Ive never seen one rebuilt. Nice. Year One had one that was for the Grand National, it was correct for my 78, it had an extra port but came with a block off. The newer canisters are charcoal wadding instead of pellets I heard.
id still put a small fuel filter on the pellet type if the purge if it decides to let go.

Last edited:

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
We used to do set ups at the Chrysler HQ, in the winter months, people put their cars on display in the halls. You can always smell gas with those old cars. Surprised the fire marshall let’s that happen.
plus, I like to keep an orig look in the engine bay. I hate to see a bay all hacked and capped off. AC looks the worst hacked and slashed

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
Lol. mine has it too
once at a National show, they couldn’t decide between two cars, the guy took second for having the wrong color door lock knobs 😬😀

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
.....and that right there is why I hate car shows and restorations! So, extra port or a glue seam that's not factory? I feel like I'm on classicoldsmobile all of a sudden.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
.....and that right there is why I hate car shows and restorations! So, extra port or a glue seam that's not factory? I feel like I'm on classicoldsmobile all of a sudden.
Quit your bellyachin' and go put your gray valve stem caps back on.... :)

• Haha
  • Clever
Reactions: 3 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Is it just me, or is this the most pointless thing ever?

EVAP systems are closed venting for your as tank. This reduces moisture buildup in your tank which also reduces tank rust and sludge build up that can clog the fuel system. Plus as already mentioned it cuts down on fuel smells. Open venting sucks.

I would be concerned that the extra port is for a shut off valve in which there is no vacuum source on a stock MCSS configuration to operate it. Stock MCSS canisters have remote valving, no built in valves. Just another case of consolidated applications of incompatible parts as the supply of replacement parts for our cars continues to shrink at an ever increasing rate.

Last edited:

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
EVAP systems are closed venting for your as tank. This reduces moisture buildup in your tank which also reduces tank rust and sludge build up that can clog the fuel system. Plus as already mentioned it cuts down on fuel smells. Open venting sucks.
I am fully aware of their intended function. The comment was about having 2 ports vs. 3 on the can.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I am fully aware of their intended function. The comment was about having 2 ports vs. 3 on the can.

As I posted before, most vapor cans have more than two ports because they have built in control and purge valves. G body cans are unique in having valveless cans, hence just two ports. The control and purge valves are entirely remote from the can for most G bodies. The third port on this so called new replacement can likely controls some sort of built in valve with an unknown function which could cause EVAP operation issues. Basically the compatibility is doubtful. My guess is the third port controls a built in flow shutoff valve meant to be operated by a TVS. Problem is there is already a shutoff valve in the remote EVAP valve pack by the water neck already controlled by a TVS. 87s and up use a computer controlled purge valve solenoid instead of a TVS and vacuum valve pack.

Think of it like installing a replacement electronic module where the new one has extra signal terminals than the old one and you don't know what they are for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor