CUTLASS How to remove the faux wood trim above the glove box door?

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
As the title states, how do you remove the faux wood trim / vent molding above the glove box on my Olds? I don't want to destroy anything but unfortunately I have a mouse skeleton sitting in the vent duct that I want to remove. Any help is appreciated!

not my car, just a photo for reference.

1980-oldsmobile-cutlass-supreme-brougham.jpeg

Last edited:

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
As the title states, how do you remove the faux wood trim / vent molding above the glove box on my Olds? I don't want to destroy anything but unfortunately I have a mouse skeleton sitting in the vent duct that I want to remove. Any help is appreciated!

not my car, just a photo for reference.

View attachment 222764

Mike, the easiest way is to stick your fingers in the vent holes, get a good purchase, and yank straight back firmly. It’s just held in with spring clips and should pop out fairly easily.

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Mike, the easiest way is to stick your fingers in the vent holes, get a good purchase, and yank straight back firmly. It’s just held in with spring clips and should pop out fairly easily.
The only thing I would add to that is make sure the slider for the 'fins' is set to have them full-open, and, when you pull, don't pull hard on the movable fins, try to hook your fingers andnget purchase on the areas that arent the fins. They can snap out and makes kind of a pain.

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
One other thing. Don't yank on it like you're starting a chain saw, although the temptation will be there. Sometimes those clips are spread out and make them tight and tough to pull. Keep in mind, too, that if you yank it, and catch those hook clips on the vinyl edge, you could damage the dash just ripping it out. You want even and steady pressure on the pull. It may be very firm. Each one is different.

Here's what you're dealing with behind the panel. Clips are p/n 22511590 if you need to find more.

1687088107424.png

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Here's what you're dealing with behind the panel. Clips are p/n 22511590 if you need to find more.
Any time I do a yard troll I pop a speaker cover or trim piece and pocket a clip or two. I do the same to small under dash trim screws etc.

Hutch

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor