How to remove windshield and back glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Any tips? This on my 442 parts car that I'm going to cut the roof off of. Need to remove the front windshield and back glass. The front winshield has a small crack in it so I'm not worried about breaking it but would prefer not having to clean up a bunch of broken glass if possible.
Rear glass is in good condition.

Obviously I realize I could just get a sledge hammer and bust them out but would prefer to do this a little more cleanly.

Thanks,

A cold knive like this one is ideal... But until you get used to handling them, you can end up breaking the glass by accident.

316-SGT87900.jpg

But it's not the only way to do it.
You and a buddy can use a length of piano wire, or even a guitar string if that's more handy, and with one of you inside the car and one of you out, slowly sawing through the urethane all the way around the perimeter of the windshield until it is free.

Did you decide to put the T-top roof on your car? Cause you should! :banana:

Blake442 said:
You and a buddy can use a length of piano wire, or even a guitar string if that's more handy, and with one of you inside the car and one of you out, slowly sawing through the urethane all the way around the perimeter of the windshield until it is free.

How do you get the piano wire through to the inside?

Did you decide to put the T-top roof on your car? Cause you should! :banana:

Haven't totally decided yet but figured I'd cut the roof off the 442 to see what kind of shape its in and go from there. If it just needs a few little patch panel pieces, that's not a big deal.

What I have always done, with great results, is cut as much of the sealer out as possible (Razor utility knife). I do inside and outside, from the inside you can pretty much cut all the way through the sealer, in some spots you can, that's where I feed the wire through. This method is VERY time consuming, however, since I have started using this method I have had very good luck getting glass out in one piece. Oh and you can do this alone, if you don't have a trustworthy friend handy.

Reactions: Sweet_Johnny
Another thing i've used with some success is the hood release cable(if the car is going to junk anyway). I cut it at the latch, then you end up with a long piece of wire with a t-handle on one end. Oh and its free.

edit* If you can put it out in the sun for a bit before you try removing it. It will help soften the glue.

FE3X CLONE said:
Blake442 said:

How do you get the piano wire through to the inside?

Once the moldings are removed, you can use a razor or utility knive to cut away at one of the corners and fish the wire through.

This works great at removing 99% of the old butyl strip. As a plus, it vibrates so it doesn't crack the glass if it hits it. Then after the worst is off, I run the piano wire all around to make sure it's totally loose. $400 on TV, $40 at Harbor Freight.
67256.gif

DX4440 work great on Butyl Strips. I used on my side windows and the black crap wiped off...

i say carefully :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor