Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Competition/Plus Shifter
Rebuild.
Thanks for sharing! I do not see the piece I circled anywhere in that document. Maybe because my shifter is an older model?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
ELCAM- where did you find that?!? Thanks for posting! You are a gentleman and a scholar.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
This is a pre 66 Hurst, the person I got it from said was from a Mustang I have no idea if that is valid.

Note it has a push in handle with one hole in it and shoulders that stop it on the shifter when fully inserted.

The rod holes have the slots cut in them.

Just an "H" stamped into the handle not "HURST" Like later ones.

The stop screws were added by the person I got it from, pre 66 or OEM shifters did not have them. Not sure which.

There is no Hurst part numbers on the handle likely was an OEM install from the factory. Poking around on the internet there were Fords, Oldsmobiles and various Mopars that use Hurst shifters as OEM.

Pre 66 Hurst.jpg

Handle slides in to this, to remove it you put shims down the wide side of the handle to push the springs back and release the pins holding it in.

Pre 66 Hurst 2.jpg

This is what is inside of it.
Pre 66 Hurst 3.jpg

Sorry no plate like on yours.

On that plate how big is the hole in it? What thickness is it?

Note in the .pdf at 8a it says "A. Wave plate (0.008" thick; some shifters have 2)", could that be the second plate it is referring to?

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The wear mark on your mystery shim looks like rotational movement around the hole.
Shifter shim wear mark.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Note it has a push in handle with one hole in it and shoulders that stop it on the shifter when fully inserted.
My second gen Firebird Hurst shifters had that slide in handle too. My 1968 Firebird Hurst shifter had a bolt-on handle.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
This is a pre 66 Hurst, the person I got it from said was from a Mustang I have no idea if that is valid.

The rod holes have the slots cut in them.

Just an "H" stamped into the handle not "HURST" Like later ones.

The stop screws were added by the person I got it from, pre 66 or OEM shifters did not have them. Not sure which.

There is no Hurst part numbers on the handle likely was an OEM install from the factory. Poking around on the internet there were Fords, Oldsmobiles and various Mopars that use Hurst shifters as OEM.

View attachment 201412
Handle slides in to this, to remove it you put shims down the wide side of the handle to push the springs back and release the pins holding it in.

View attachment 201413

This is what is inside of it.
View attachment 201414
Sorry no plate like on yours.

On that plate how big is the hole in it? What thickness is it?

Note in the .pdf at 8a it says "A. Wave plate (0.008" thick; some shifters have 2)", could that be the second plate it is referring to?
Ah yes, no its not that. The hole is the size of the carriage bolt that goes thru the shift lever with the two plastic bushings on each end. I did not measure thickness unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor