I GOT ONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fryer1979

Apprentice
Oct 10, 2007
The Sticks, Ca.
www.myspace.com
So all of my junkyard crawling (my favorite past-time), newspaper and internet searching, and backyard cruising has payed off. I negotiated my deal for a G-body yesterday. A friend of a friend heard of my quest for a secondary project, and over breakfast at a local diner, offered me an '82 Cutlass that his mother had driven before she passed, and now the car was sitting with a few others in this guys yard. He was eager to get them off his property, and I was eager to see. I drove out to see the Cutlass which was in far worse shape than I had let myself hope for, most of the body panels were more ocean-like than flat. I did notice an '81 Regal sitting across the yard, and since this was my preferred G-body, I brought it to the guy's attention. He said that the Regal needed to go too, so I jumped. Papers are being drawn up this week, and as soon as the ground dries from the rain, we will tow it to my shop. Sweet deal!

So here it is: 1981 Buick Regal, white with red vinyl interior (yes it actually is in good, soft condition. V6 with an auto, and a couple VERY minor surface rust spots on a couple panels, very easy to sand off and cover. The only body damage I can see is a softball sized dent in the panel behind the passenger door, and I have fixed those before so it is no big deal.

My questions then are simple, as no true gearhead can live with a small v6 in a big steel car. I know the G-bodies parts are nicely interchangeable, so I would like to know if anyone knows the vin code for the v8 cars in any G-body so I can easily locate a transmission crossmember for the v8 swap. Also, what models, vin codes, and stampings do I look for to find a posi rear end to bolt in. And finally, what kind of clearance issues might I run into with the v8? Hood? Firewall? Also want to know if anyone knows anything I might not be considering for this?

Please, I am looking for this info from all GM G-bodies. I strongly prefer to NOT buy new parts, or even from ebay. I really just want the guide for the junkyards, there are tons around here so I will find what I need.

Thank you in advance, and cheers to a stoked new beginning.

Good luck with your project. I hope to answer some of those questions.

Go to http://www.gbodyforum.com/viewforum.php?f=13 You will see 3 sticky posts that go into what you need and some how-to in regards to swappping your Buick 231 V6 to a Small Block Chevy V8 (I assume you are using an SBC V8 ).

As for V8 vin codes, there were many, including the Old 350 V8 diesel. ASSUMING YOU USE A CHEVY V-8, the common G-Body cars that got them were 78-88 Monte Carlos and 83-87 Grand Prixs (78-81 got a Poncho V-8 and 82 did not offer a gas V-8 ). Some Caprices go them too (some also got an Olds V8, so be careful). For the most part, Buick and Olds used the 307 Olds V8 (a totally different beast).

As for clearence issues with hood, that depends on which aftermarket carb/intake setup you decide on.

iirc the trans. c-member should be the same from '78 until whatever year they moved the mount point on the frame, '82/'83? v6 and v8 used the same one unless I'm mistaken. Anyone know exactly what year that was? You shouldn't have to swap that out anyawy 😀

As for the other stuff, somewhere on the site some of the RPO codes for the posi are floating around. Clearance shouldn't be an issue unless you're going to run some kind of high-rise intake, or headers.

Congrats on the find.

Yes it is going to be the Chevy 350 from my Camaro going into the Regal. Although the motors and trannies are a little different, the mount positions are all the same. My little brother has a '68 cutlass that someone had put a chevy 350 into, we swapped it back to an orrigional Olds 350/350 combo.
I didn't know that the v6 cross member might be the same, I will just have to measure. I was just wondering if anyone knew the vin number that would show a v8 came with a G-body, sure would help identifying some of the gutted cars I have seen in junkyards. As for rearends, guess the old turn the tire trick will have to do, with a socket wrench and prybar to verify.

The carb, intake setup is a Deamon 650 double pumper on top of a Performer RPM manifold. Unfortunately I have to use a 1 inch spacer to clear the vacuum fitting for the brakes. I am trying to find a drop-base for my 14 inch air cleaner.

Any one know any good websites for decoding factory cast stamping? More specifically, I'm gonna need a something to help decode stampings on the ring gears to figure out what gears are in the rear-ends I find.

Each GM division had a code for each engine configuration, so you'd be looking at maybe 20 different codes.

srercrcr said:
Each GM division had a code for each engine configuration, so you'd be looking at maybe 20 different codes.

I know, I am just hoping that people who have cars that came with v8s could just tell me what their letter on the vin is. I have a pad and paper ready to copy every one of them down. I have looked around a but on the internet for a site like I have for my F-bodies, and A-bodies, it is a breakdown of each part of the vin code and shows what letter would be where for different options and such throughout all years of these cars. And I have it all written out in a small notebook I keep in my junkyard toolbag. I cannot yet find a site that does this for the G-bodies, I am just asking that if people know what their vin-codes is for a v8, they tell me, if they want. let me worry about how many there is, I still have lots of room in my notebook (if I run out, I know where to get more). I would never expect that any one person would know all by memory.

by the way; dougfather, I did read that post, just forgot about it. Thank you for reminding me though, a quick run through got me all straightened out. Good info there.
My grandma had one of these deisels in a big gold Oldsmobile when I was a kid. Kind of funny what we do with the cars our parents and grandparents used to drive. :mrgreen:

fryer1979 said:
I have looked around a but on the internet for a site like I have for my F-bodies, and A-bodies, it is a breakdown of each part of the vin code and shows what letter would be where for different options and such throughout all years of these cars. And I have it all written out in a small notebook I keep in my junkyard toolbag. I cannot yet find a site that does this for the G-bodies....

Sounds like a project. Nuts, one more thing to find time for! 😀

So, if anyone's got a service manual they can scan or write down the info from that page and send it on, I'll try and whip something up. I've got pontiac '78/'79 and '81! Or some links to the info out there... I know they're out there, can't go hunting for it ATM.

just realized I wrote "but" instead of "bit". :rofl: It is way too early here.
I'm just looking for whatever people may know from their heads. No need to do research for it, I've got that end covered. I was just hoping some might know. I will keep digging though.

You can use the stock transmission cross member, there are at least 2 different ones that i know of that i have. i have one that is center mounted for a 350 franny and i also have one for a 3.8 in my 84 that i used a 350 transmission in. you can re use the stock 3.8/th200 transmission mount and it will work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor