I just don't get it

Status
Not open for further replies.
carmangary said:
Spend 5 years restoring a car to show quality and you will understand. I have a daily driver, a show car, and a car I like to tinker with. I have no desire to drive my show car daily and have some joker open his car door on it. So, I drive it on Sundays and take it shows for people to look at. My 42 year old car doesn't drive as good as my 10 yr old Jeep so why would I want to drive that thing daily anyway?

Exactly. I haven't spent 7 years restoring a car just so I can drive it in rush hour traffic to and from work every single day with every possible idiot on the road.
Because the fact is, that average person will not regard the car as anything special and could care less if they ding it with their car door or back into it.

I do agree to a point, I think cars should be driven. Its the point to owning a car. But I think spending 30K+ to restore a car just to be an everyday driver is stupid.

FE3X CLONE said:
carmangary said:
Spend 5 years restoring a car to show quality and you will understand. I have a daily driver, a show car, and a car I like to tinker with. I have no desire to drive my show car daily and have some joker open his car door on it. So, I drive it on Sundays and take it shows for people to look at. My 42 year old car doesn't drive as good as my 10 yr old Jeep so why would I want to drive that thing daily anyway?

Exactly. I haven't spent 7 years restoring a car just so I can drive it in rush hour traffic to and from work every single day with every possible idiot on the road.
Because the fact is, that average person will not regard the car as anything special and could care less if they ding it with their car door or back into it.

I do agree to a point, I think cars should be driven. Its the point to owning a car. But I think spending 30K+ to restore a car just to be an everyday driver is stupid.

dido...

I drove a 76 Cutlass for 16 yrs daily.... Then I drove my 84 for 2 yrs daily. They both rotted out to the point of no return. Now I have a sweet 73 and a just about finished 82 Cutlass. They sit and only get driven to car shows and cruize nights. The older you get the more sensible you may be and want to keep your cars around longer. I spent countless hours and thousands of dollars fixing these cars up. Yes my wife bugs me all the time to take em out for a drive but when you have a free work truck, a play truck a nice driver sedan and 2 old Cutlass's you tend to use the free work truck more than ever..... I am trying to be more proactive this yr and drive them more, so far this yr I have logged 10 miles on each Cutlass...

i agree with both sides on this one...because i know i would be hella cautious of were im parking at if i spent 5k on a paint job...lol...but if i had my car fixd up i would wanna drive it all da time...lol

I'm not against the daily driver thing .You buy a car that does not have stock drive train go for it . But for as many cars that have been retire On here for all longer I been on . Seems it would hurt not have hurt them to sit some. I had a 76 Impala I showed love by driving every day for years . Still rusted out . Its scrap wish I'd show love by parking it some. It can't be replaced

I can't drive mine in My line of work . If I could for the 2 months salt and gravel not on roads . Mine gets miles every year a trip to get gas is 25 MIles each way . Its used for the weekend cruise thing . I use it when I can really enjoy it . Not worry of being hit in parking lot because needed to get groceries . I had a car totaled before it even left dealer lot once.

I put $1000 a year in touch up just to keep my truck nice .

I started out restoring cars at a shop and those 60 +-year old rides were not daily drivers they were store for the most part .None of them would be here In PA other wise .

I built allot of beaters rust buckets, and Before working 16 hrs a day to get my car in 87 .To get the urge to keep it for long run . I still have it still enjoy it . Still get a the Nice Car when I go out .

So its a stored car . Every post about the super clean car that's purchases shows we want nice cars . In rural PA nice car and daily driver dont mix.

As for storing for $$$$$$ . Well when yours is worn out you can buy thiers and thank them for thinking ahead . Unless the garage falls on it I'll be driving it for the next 30 years any time I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor