I Learned Somthing Today About S-10/Blazer Master Cylinders...

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
They share the same casting number as an 83-88 G-body! Well, namely, ones that fit my G-bodies.

Just something I never bothered to look at before. Maybe y'all knew that, but I never checked out much on S-10s. I knew they had those RH drive style master cylinders for S-10s that everyone loves to get, but never knew the regular ones were the same. Makes sense since the S-10 was virtually a G-body steering and suspension parts (to a degree) toss into a small truck. I knew they had "different" master cylinders, but never thought that all they did was fit it with a different shaped reservoir.

So....if anyone knows anything about GM aluminum master cylinders, MANY people don't have a clue what part number their M/C was to begin with. For example, all my G-body Oldses use master cylinder GM p/n 18013429 (83-88 gas engines). Most other G-bodies use this p/n as well if not a diesel. Production part number was 18009816. Yours may differ.

Fortunately, there's a casting number on the bottom of the cylinders that may give you the tip you need. And that number is 18010023.

Always on the lookout for GM NOS stuff, I can hardly ever find brand new GM 18013429 masters on ebay. But for fun, I typed in 18010023. It showed me a bunch of master cylinders not even for G-bodies. In particular, an NOS master but was an SR code. It looked the same, but the reservoir is different.

This is the one I bought for $95. It was advertised as p/n 1810023 because of the cast in numbers on the bottom, but the SR code piece is actually service part number 18013433 for S-10/Blazer with power brakes. Original production part number was 18009879.

1719089715559.png

1719103520910.png

Here's a used one showing the 18010023 casting number.

1719089986871.png

I actually traced it down by using the repair (rebuild) kit part number 18010083. All the other guts parts are the same part numbers. Both the S-10/Blazer and the non-diesel Cutlass used the same master cylinder bores, just used a different reservoir. Even the lid/gasket interchanges. Just so happens I have an NOS reservoir and cover kit just laying around with nothing to do. So now I can just pop off the reservoir on this new one and pop my reservoir on it and have a brand new G-body Olds master cylinder. For much cheaper than the last time I saw an NOS G-body m/c.

If anyone wants an NOS "SR" reservoir by itself for your S-10 or Blazer, I'll give it to you. I'm never going to use it. Just hope I can pop it off without tearing it up. The way the grommet and resi nipple fit in there, it can be a PITA to get them apart.

Not that I paid attention to the casting numbers but on my 1950 Chevy truck, I retrofitted a g body brake pedal and brake booster to the firewall. The g body master cylinder wouldn’t work beca of the angle the plastic tank is at. The firewall on my truck is basically 90 degrees from the frame. A g body is on an angle ( I’m sure you all know that). The s10 master tank is straight. Bolted on and worked perfectly. Maybe if I look at the numbers on the bottom, they might be the same.

Exactly. The G-body angle makes the reservoir lid only level because it's such an upward angle the way it mounts.

According to all tertiary support information, the S-10/Blazer w/J50 uses the same master as the 429 for G-bodies. Just the reservoir was changed to protect the innocent. Also to level it up properly, I guess. 🙂

So, I got the new S-10/Blazer master cylinder. It's just as I suspected. A G-body master with the different angle reservoir because of the way it mounts in the truck.

Here's the comparo pics:
Sh*t wasn't cheap even 27 years ago. 197 list, I paid 157.60 plus tax.
IMG_0235.jpg

These are some rare birds.

IMG_0230.jpg

Comes with the decal on it already. Note too the code is etched into the end of the master cylinder aluminum piece as well.
IMG_0231 (1).jpg

Other than the resi, same ol' same ol'.
IMG_0237.jpg

With both master caps "level" you can see the upward angle the G-body version mounts. Quite significant.
IMG_0236.jpg

It's just optics if they don't look it, but these ends are exactly the same size as each other. One is sitting slightly forward of the other.
IMG_0238.jpg

And here we are. Same engineering "part number" 18010023. Date stamps I haven't figured out. The top one, the G-body version is dated 3306 (I suspect Tuesday, Nov. 2, 1993 with an "07" out there for whatever reason). Bottom one says 7 156 16. To which I believe it translates to Thursday, June 5, 1997 with a "16" out there for reasons yet to be known. I'm only speculating on dates due to availability and things that may make sense for manufacturing dates.
IMG_0239.jpg

Got the reservoir kit ready to go to replace that S-10 resi. Kit comes with resi and two grommets. No cap though. That's separate!
IMG_0229.jpg

But that is fixed with cover "kit" GM p/n 18006073. It's stupid to call it a "kit" when the cover comes with the rubber gasket already on it.

IMG_0232.jpg

Note, too that the new cover does NOT come with the Delco-Moraine logo on the cover like the production version and over the counter G-body master cylinder cover. It's just flat there. Interestingly the S-10 master cylinder cover doesn't have the "D" on there either.

Check out the differences.
IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor