i met the 18 year owner of my car this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
i bought my GP ffrom a kid ( i'm still young at 22) around town 2 years ago. he had it for a year before me. the owner before that is the one that did the work and owned it for 18 years. i was thrilled to finally meet him. he started pointing things out to me on the car. he did the paint himself, he put the 79 taillights on and the 78 grill. he pointed out the welded frame. he replaced the frame from the rear wheels back. also dug in his garage and found me a replacement back seat and gas tank. also some touch up paint. he informed me the heads have some shaved off, the crank and rods are both 10 under and the cylinders are 60 over. :shock: i may not have a 350!! :lol: anyways he is a really cool guy. he was thrilled that someone that appreciates the car is owning it.

end of story. it was just an awesome feeling to finally talk to him. before this i would be sitting at a red light and some one would pull up and be like 'hey! i helped build this car... the crank is 10 over.' or ' hey, theres some head work on that car.' or ' that car hit a deer before.'

for the longest time i was wanting to put a crate motor in there just because the engine was a mystery to me and that has always kinda bugged me.

any one else have any similar stories?

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
nope but thats cool you met him, lol he didnt try and buy it back did he? lol

blizack

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2009
Toronto, On, Canada
Thats great man. I wish I could meet the person who owned my car.

How did you find each other?

My car has a custom paint job on it that looks very amateur. Other than the paint it seems everything is stock but for a car thats 25 years old you kinda feel like theres a good chance that its not all as it seems.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It's always cool to meet someone who has owned a car that long, especially when it is yours and they did most of the work on it.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
nop but i'm the 5th or 6th owner of my cutlass,i'd be thrilled to meet the original owners though,just so they can see its the same way it was 23 years ago.

n8dogg

Apprentice
Apr 2, 2009
Winnipeg, Canada
I worked with the guy I bought my 85 gp off of. I begged him for 3 years to sell it to me and one day I just pulled into work and he said, " ok you can have it but if you wreck it, I'm gonna punch you in the face" lol

He bought it new from the same dealership we worked at together. it had 120,000 km's and the interior was pretty much brand new. I paid $6000 for it on 2001. Thats the best money I've ever spent! This car has been perfect this whole time. I just changes the rear frame rails and it's as good as new!

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
blizack said:
Thats great man. I wish I could meet the person who owned my car.

How did you find each other?

My car has a custom paint job on it that looks very amateur. Other than the paint it seems everything is stock but for a car thats 25 years old you kinda feel like theres a good chance that its not all as it seems.

well im working at autozone now, and he saw it parked in the parking lot.

yeah, he got down with me and pointed out the weld seems on the frame. i NEVER would have known if he didn't show me. he said it was last painted in 94.

maybe i can talk him into helping me paint it again?!?!? lol, that'd be awesome at some point.

and no he did nt try to buy it back, lol. i would have been torn if he tried though.

first time i met him when he left he said 'take care of my baby.' lol

this last time i went to his house to pick up the extra parts he had, i said 'thanks for taking great care of the car for so long.' and he said 'no problem, now you just do the same.' looking me straight in the eyes, lol.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
quote: "the cylinders are 60 over. :shock: i may not have a 350!!"

Yea, you have a 358 :wink:

vladj

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
thats cool. if i meet the old owner of my cutlass again ill punch him in the face. he had no fuel filter in it and water instead of antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor