i need Lowering Springs for a lightened drag car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 21, 2007
i am building a 86 monte carlo ss street/ drag car the problem i am having is i took so much weight out of the car that the car is sitting way too high. i got some worn out springs from a v6 and cut a coil off trying to get the front down but it just would not budge. i had to almost cut those junk stockers in half to get the ride height that i want. i realize that it will not handle the way it is and i ordered a set of 2 inch drop spindles for it already but i am looking for a set of springs that will give me close to the ride height that i want. i want the frame in the front to sit between 5-6 inches of the ground and 6-7 inches in the back. this is a picture of my car with the cut springs and i torched some junk stock rears to get the ride height i wanted
008.jpg

018.jpg
[/img]

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
ok i'm guessing that your frame is pretty much scraping the ground (looks awesome by the way). i think your best bet is going to be 2in drop springs and the drop spindles up front and drop springs in back. eibach seems to be the springs of choice for this. you will have problems on the street unless the roads are dead flat. you may also want to look at Air Ride Tecnologies. their systems are supposed to handle extremely well.

Nov 21, 2007
i tried some 2 inch drop springs they ended up near factory height in the rear and they would not compress in the front. the spring rate was too high. the car only weighs around 2500 lbs.

Robert

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2007
Germany
megaladon6 said:
ok i'm guessing that your frame is pretty much scraping the ground (looks awesome by the way). i think your best bet is going to be 2in drop springs and the drop spindles up front and drop springs in back. eibach seems to be the springs of choice for this. you will have problems on the street unless the roads are dead flat. you may also want to look at Air Ride Tecnologies. their systems are supposed to handle extremely well.

are the drop spindles a must have to lowering a gbody or is a eibach drop springs /bilstein B6 coil setup enough?

dirty joe

Apprentice
Dec 14, 2006
405 okc
for the front, i would try the qa-1 r series coil overs!!!!!!!! adj ride height and turn of the knob shock adj. extremely easy to install and beats tearing the front end down to cut springs. i also have coil overs in the rear of my car.

Dec 6, 2007
Greenville SC
lowering springs

I lowered the front of my 86 ss with moroso trick springs.All I had to do was cut 1 coil off and it sits about the same as yours.I went through cut stock springs lowered it but did not work well.I have tried hotchkis 2" lowering springs I had to cut a coil off to make it work.The trick springs also transfer weight better.For the rear go with adjustable coil overs.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
If you want the body at a specific height then you are stuck with adjustable coil overs or custom ordering shocks and getting specific springs. The 2" lowering spindles and the custom springs and shocks are the cheap way. Call the top shock and spring companies and talk to someone. The weight is a big deal b/c add 500-800 lbs and those 2" drop springs would sit 2" lower.

The company will tell you which ones are best for your application. The fronts will be easy but the rears will be tricky, you need lots of room to squat to help with launches at the track.

roughskinjrz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2007
Miramichi, NB
smallblockman69 did you do the frame notch? if so or if not what size are the slicks your running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor