I Need Some Brake Help ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 ttype

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 26, 2018
I think I might have found the problem. The bore on an OEM wheel cylinder is 3/4. The bore on the wheel cylinders that come with a Moser rear is 1". I need to look into this a lot more but my buddy said the master might not be big enough to supply the volume in the larger cylinder. FYI if you are running bigger wheel cylinders than factory your back wheels are going to lock up under hard braking I think you can run a different proportioning valve to stop this but not a 100 percent sure. I ran into this on my ttype previous owner installed larger bore wheel cylinders so car would hold better at the line for drag racing. I don’t race the car and it was very dangerous on the road having the back wheels lock up!!
Does that make sense ?

2 ttype

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 26, 2018
. FYI if you are running bigger wheel cylinders than factory your back wheels are going to lock up under hard braking I think you can run a different proportioning valve to stop this but not a 100 percent sure. I ran into this on my ttype previous owner installed larger bore wheel cylinders so car would hold better at the line for drag racing. I don’t race the car and it was very dangerous on the road having the back wheels lock up!!

1KWIKSIX

Greasemonkey
Jun 26, 2017
Mississauga , Ontario, Canada
. FYI if you are running bigger wheel cylinders than factory your back wheels are going to lock up under hard braking I think you can run a different proportioning valve to stop this but not a 100 percent sure. I ran into this on my ttype previous owner installed larger bore wheel cylinders so car would hold better at the line for drag racing. I don’t race the car and it was very dangerous on the road having the back wheels lock up!!

I've got the larger S-10 manual 7/8" bore rear wheel cylinders + long leading brake shoes and no issues. I did however remove the factory proportioning valve and installed a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve. No problems locking them prematurely as you can dial in the perfect amount of rear brake bias.
Also I Installed Wilwood residual pressure valves (2# valve for front discs & 10# valve for rear brakes) in line as well for instant brakes with limited pedal travel.

Wilwood3.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY

Not sure if thats correct on all vehicles. I spoke to the guys at Moser and Currie and they both sell rears with the Ford 11" drum brake sets and neither had any complaints/issues from the slightly larger cylinders. Currie gave me the name of their brake kit supplier and they said the same thing.
I was hopling to hear from someone on this forum that has one of these rears with the same brake setup but so far no replies.

2 ttype

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 26, 2018
I've got the larger S-10 manual 7/8" bore rear wheel cylinders + long leading brake shoes and no issues. I did however remove the factory proportioning valve and installed a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve. No problems locking them prematurely as you can dial in the perfect amount of rear brake bias.
Also I Installed Wilwood residual pressure valves (2# valve for front discs & 10# valve for rear brakes) in line as well for instant brakes with limited pedal travel.

View attachment 97305

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor