i need to make my monte ls run right

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
well i scored a great deal on an 87 ls with a 305. 650 bucks and it was mine, i mis read the odometer in all the excitment and it has 207k versus the 70 somthin k i thought, didnt bother to ask the seller, cause in reality it didnt matter cause the body is real clean and has no frame rot.
its got the elctronic q jet and all the emission crap i normally would remove, but since this one has to pass im leavin it for now. the trouble is it either idles way high, or stumbles, or dies at idle. or it runs pretty good. id like to eliminat the computor controlled carb and distributor and yank most of this stuff off if it would still pass the sniffer i dont belive they really do a visual as a friend of mine got a carb converted mustang through. but if i can make it run with stock stuff for now ited be nice, if anyone could help ited be great.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Sounds to me like the throttle shaft bores are worn, causing the bellcrank to move around on the idle speed screw, thus varying the idle speed. If this is the case, I would have a carb shop rebuild the carburetor and drill and bush the baseplate. It is a common problem on carbs from high mileage engines, and can even happen on throttle bodies from EFI engines with lots of miles too.

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
drove it today it didnt do it at all but it has a nasty stumble somtimes also and you here it missing. im going to keep goin with the tune up parts and see what happens. if it happens when all is said and done still i probably try and get another car cause i cantafford the dowtime.

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
i just read what i wrote i meant ill get a new carb not a new car. i dont give up that easy.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
IIRC i have 2 complete carbs. one is an electronic q-jet (call it $75) and a 4175? holley, it was r-blt by holley but is too small for my 383 (call it $250) i'm in southbury so i don't think i'm too far away. i just have to find and check the q-jet

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor