i NEED to paint this car ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
ok this paint is crap. after 24 years the paint is giving up the ghost.

i need to take it down to bare metal (the stuff is now starting to come off anyway) and repaint this car but it has to be cheap, so its rattle cans all the way.

do i need to put down a coat of primer or can i just take it down ot bare metal remove the rust, rub it down with degreaser and just spray it?

i only need it to last a few years maybe and i want it to be good. i know rattle cans arent the best but i know i can do a decent job.

i'll be working piece meal as i cant do it all at once, the car sits outside so i cant work on removing the rust over time. i have to do all the work for one piece in one day, two tops.

i plan on starting with the hood since i figure work from the top down jsut like washing a car. i'll probably take it down to bare metal, use a self etching primer, rough that up with some 220 and spray it with my final color, flat black since i already have a can i can use and do two coats with that.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
Deff prime it before paint. If you ever plan on redoing this car the right way, just prime the bad spots for now. I spent over $50 on rattle cans and it was a waste of money. I could have used that to paint the car later down the road.

Another option is the roll on paint job. Under $100 but very labor intense, mostly due to the wet sanding between coats, a better option than rattle cans and Maaco is another option, though I would do the roll on before Macco.

You can see plenty of information out there on the roll on paint jobs. For the trim and such, just use the rattle cans.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
for the time and amount i would need to just cover the rusty spots i might as well paint the whole car. but all i can do is rattle cans. ive done primer before but i figure i could try putting something on top of that and it might help some more.

kartrac3r

Greasemonkey
Mar 23, 2008
Kearney, NE
I've done rattle can flat black over PPG primer once. the flat black just doesn't have any protection. It faded off in 3 months. the most important things is your foundation. that self etch primer you use needs to be top notch. dont get the cheap stuff and dont think that self etch primer alone will protect from rust. you need to self etch, then one coat of primer (just to seal off the self etch, then paint. You may want to choose a gloss rattle can. the flat paints are just like applying base coat with no clear, they just won't stand up to the elements.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I'd rather strip then rattle can primer until the body work is done then send it in to Macco myself. You need to do all the bodyowrk, pull the bumpers, the 1/4 windows, and most of the interior, all the trim and mask it yourself. If you don't get a top coat on it then it will end up a bigger mess and all your work will be for nothing. Macco is a cheap crappy paint job agreed, but it's a huge leap forward from a rattle can job in your driveway and probably not much more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor