I now have a roof carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
These racks were not meant to carry anything heavy. Probably more for esthetics or light luggage...no big steamer trunks or oak desks..
Many years ago, my dad had metal racks that clipped onto the gutters. He used them to carry ladders, lumber, etc. on his '62 Belair.
I even carried a small race boat on the roof...they worked very well. Unfortunately, they were gotten rid of awhile back.
I never saw another set since. They were also adjustable.

Jack

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jack, my Dad had those too! We allways had VW beetles and he loaded those roof racks to the hilt. I remember the gutter clamps with turnbuckles, still have them in fact. I'm in Queens Village, close to the 105th precinct house.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The VW had a cool luggage rack. Infact my last beetle, a '73 Super beetle had one of those racks. I was also into VW's. Bugs, buses, type III squareback. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the old air cooled cars.

I don't know Queens all that well. I was originally from Brooklyn near Sheepshead Bay.
I knew people many years ago that lived in Queens Village. I'm probably talking '70's.

I assume you found the gauges you needed for your wagon.

Jack

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I found the gauges, still need a factory tach/speedo cluster. I was stationed in Ft. Hamilton in the 70's, and went to Kingsboro at night. Love fishing on the Sheepshead Bay fleet, or just hitting Randazzo's or Roll-a-Roaster!

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
just saw the picture you posted up, looks great

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor