I recommend an engine kill switch so this doesn't happen

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
For us older non-techno types, the easiest place to put the switch is between either the ground lead on the battery and what it is grounded to, presumably the engine, or better, in between the positive lead and that fat-a**ed stud on the solenoid down on the battery. For the one that I personally installed way back when, I went with the positive lead and routed it into....................................................(Uh-uh, that would be giving up secrets, and the whole point of that switch is to hide it so no one can "borrow" your ride to reduce it to parts or wrap it around a convenient tree.)

Nick

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
For us older non-techno types, the easiest place to put the switch is between either the ground lead on the battery and what it is grounded to, presumably the engine, or better, in between the positive lead and that fat-a**ed stud on the solenoid down on the battery. For the one that I personally installed way back when, I went with the positive lead and routed it into....................................................(Uh-uh, that would be giving up secrets, and the whole point of that switch is to hide it so no one can "borrow" your ride to reduce it to parts or wrap it around a convenient tree.)

Nick
Seems to me the kill switch need not be rated for 100 amps or require 6-gauge battery cable connections. In the case of older non-techno types, just interrupt the distributor spark or start (starter solenoid) circuit. Interrupting the battery cables or main ground would be kinda obvious.

Reactions: 1 user

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Its sad that if a theif wants something bad enough, they'll take it, but if caught in the act, i highly suggest that the owner should respond in kind and take his life in exchange with extreme prejudice.

Just remember, even with an ignition/ecu kill switch, a tow/flatbed truck can still take your car if its left unattended in an open parking lot, they'll just yank it up from the rear and take off because the front wheels are locked and typically straight, i've heard stories about it happening before.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Its sad that if a theif wants something bad enough, they'll take it, but if caught in the act, i highly suggest that the owner should respond in kind and take his life in exchange with extreme prejudice.

Just remember, even with an ignition/ecu kill switch, a tow/flatbed truck can still take your car if its left unattended in an open parking lot, they'll just yank it up from the rear and take off because the front wheels are locked and typically straight, i've heard stories about it happening before.
A professional thief or a rookie won't use a flatbed truck even if the car is unattended it attracts attention.Cars have been stolen with a flatbed but really done. First thing a thief is going to do is bump your car a few times while walking by it just see if it has an alarm or not. No churps from the alarm screwdriver comes out. When a thief can't start your car there out of that car faster than they broke into it. A professional thief will tell you a kill switch is what you want, cant steal a car if doesn't start especially older cars like the gbodys.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor