I Sorta Messed Up, Plz Forgive Me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chickenbone

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2008
NJ
Almost a year ago I sold my '78 Malibu for an economy V6 pickup. Since then, I befriended the girl who bought the car. I have a feeling that I will be working on the car again, so I joined this forum because I have a lot of tech questions. The Malibu was stock except for a rebuilt Rochester 2bbl, shortblock was a stock 305 out of a 78 pickup truck (I found that out the hard way when buying parts for a timing chain and crank seal installation), Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers, 3" single exhaust with 2.5" cat and cutout, Malibu wagon springs, Cragar SS wheels, and JEGS lift bars out back. Here are some pics of the first car that I bought and owned for 11 years thereafter.

Malibunair.jpg

Malibuengine.jpg

CVMalibu.jpg

Malibu2.jpg

Even with crazy gas prices, I still miss that car :cry: .

Chickenbone

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
that's a nice car! is that a 305 or a 350 out of a 78 p/u?
any questions, just ask. we'll be happy to help. (just be warned, diagnosis when you can't hear, see, or feel the car/problem can be a little difficult)

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
haha
You might just end up with the car back.
After I sold my monte I thought another gbody was hopeless for me, until one of my good friends gave me a call and told me she was selling her cutlass :D

Nice car tho, welcome to the forum, hopefully you'll get another gbody soon :D

Chickenbone

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2008
NJ
The shortblock was a 305 out of a truck. I wished it was a 350; I coulda done more with a 350. When the crank seal went, I bought a new timing chain cover and crank seal for a 305 passenger car. They gave me a chrome two-piece cover. When I got the accessories off of the motor, that's when I found out that the 305 was not the original and that I needed a one-piece cover. Though it woulda explained why that engine sounded and ran so good all of those years with very little mods done to it. I'll tell you a few stories about that in the story section.

Anyways, my friend's father said the crank gear went kaput on the 305, so it has been sitting all winter while she gets the funds to get it repaired. She is going to college and working at the same time so her time to do this stuff is short. The body on my Malibu was crusty at best. My pics don't show the rust from poor body work done by myself and a crappy Maaco paint job. I am hoping that she can just use the car for general transportation until she can find an old G-Body that is in better shape. For now, I have modification questions that I will post in the tech forum.

As far as getting the car back; prob'ly not, because it is too far gone to fix. Plus I am at the point that if I got another G-Body, it would be a mostly strip vehicle that I can occasionally take out to Dairy Queen or something. I got a lot of projects (house work, my '53 Ford, my mom's '86 Crown Vic [oh she was upset when I got rid of the Malibu], and my dad's latest aquisition, an '02 F-250) with very little time and space to do this kind of work.

Chickenbone

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i just didn't know that they offered a 305 in a truck back then.

Chickenbone

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2008
NJ
megaladon6 said:

I didn't know either until I ran the numbers off of the top of the bellhousing on the 305. The specs are the same (according to Chiltons except the truck block is a 4-bolt main). I was a little mad because I had gotten the wrong parts and my time was limited. I ended up collapsing and poking the crank seal out with a hammer and screwdriver. The car sat for a week, which was a PITA because I had to rely on my father to get me to work everyday. It was a cool car and perhaps one day, when I have the time and space, I will build a strip Malibu; or mod whatever car my friend runs whether she wants to or not lol.

Chickenbone

Chickenbone

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2008
NJ
NOT LOOKING GOOD AT ALL!!!

The last time I went by the girl's house (the one that bought my Malibu), the car was gone and a late 70s Trans Am was in its place. I have a feeling that the car suffered a bad fate :cry: . I hope they at least salvaged the bolt ons like the headers and rear suspension pieces. Too bad though, because all that was needed was a crank gear and possibly a new timing chain or gears if they are cheeky. Oh well, I guess that's it for now. Once I get my '53 Ford fixed up I will start looking for another Malibu to make into a drag/strip machine :twisted: .

Chickenbone[/b]

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
megaladon6 said:

My grandpap has one.....get ready for this

78 GMC Suburban (that's right, Suburban, not a pichup) 1/2 ton
4WD
4-speed manual transmission (first gear is a "creeper" gear)...L-1-2-3
Dual A/C
Sierra Classic trim

All being pulled by a miserable 305 V8 with iron intake an 2 bbl carb!!!!

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
dougfather said:
megaladon6 said:

My grandpap has one.....get ready for this

78 GMC Suburban (that's right, Suburban, not a pichup) 1/2 ton
4WD
4-speed manual transmission (first gear is a "creeper" gear)...L-1-2-3
Dual A/C
Sierra Classic trim

All being pulled by a miserable 305 V8 with iron intake an 2 bbl carb!!!!

Dear Lord... that poor, poor engine.

Chickenbone

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2008
NJ
**************************UPDATE****************************

Good news guys/gals.......and maybe some bad news. The Malibu wasn't crushed and has been sitting in back of a gas station for over a year. I spoke with the girl's brother and he said that the girl parked it with the intent of fixing it. I guess with the economy and all, she isn't working. Who knows, I might see the car out on the streets again after all.

Chickenbone

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor