identifying a 200r4

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOCOGOMEZ

Greasemonkey
May 19, 2014
Southern IL
So I went to the junk yard to day an found a cutlass there. I was looking at what was left., and saw the transmission still there. It has 408g stamped on the bell housing I wanna say it was a 200r4. I tried uploading a picture from my phone but it will not let me. It did have the funny looking pan also. Please help let me know so maybe I can go pull it out and save it. Thank you all.

Last edited:
If the tag is still attached on the tail housing would be best way to identify it and whether it's one of the 200-4r with performance valbe body found on the Monte SS, 442, & GN.

If you just want to know whether it's a 200-4r best way is to check whether it has the small speedo bullet. Looks like a regular speedometer bullet as found on th350 and 700r4 but without the round flange.

Are you trying to I.D a 700"R"4 or a 200-4"R"? People always call it the wrong thing which leads to confusion....

• Agree
Reactions: pontiacgp
I don't know if this'll help you or not, but this is what the passenger's side of a 200R4 looks like from outside the car.
I pulled this one from the wreckers, it's out of an '85 442. It has the desirable valve body. The pink tag near the back denotes it as an OZ code 200R4.
It has been rebuilt, and currently resides in Project Olds Cool.

IMG_1605.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor