Idiot light to gauge upgrade

Podagrower

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2023
Our Caballero has a cheap (probably the cheapest available) triple gauge setup with oil, temp, volts. I'd like to get the factory gauges and put them in the dash, but. The factory oil pressure gauge tops out at 60 PSI, and our motor frequently exceeds that. I've seen that there are different sending units for 0-60 and 0-80 for various GM vehicles. Does that mean the sending unit and gauge should match in range? In other words, an engine has 40 PSI, the sending unit is 0-80 PSI and the gauge is 0-60 PSI would show right in the middle of the gauge at an indicated 30 PSI?

So would using a sending unit for 0-120 indicate 1/2 of the actual PSI on a 0-60 gauge?

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
your oil pressure goes higher than 60psi? do you know this for sure or is this what a gauge is telling you?

Reactions: 1 user

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
I can't answer your specific question, but do want to point out that Dakota Digital has factory replacement-look gauge packages for the 78-87 El Camino/Caballero - and for those that don't know, they are NOT all digital. I used the DD replacement dash for my 1979 Cutlass, and it is great - it is the same layout as factory, but the gauges are bigger because they eliminate the idiot lights on the side. The odometer is digital, but the speedo, tach, oil pressure, temp, fuel and voltage meter gauges are all analog.

Reactions: 3 users

Podagrower

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2023
your oil pressure goes higher than 60psi? do you know this for sure or is this what a gauge is telling you?
The cheap (possibly cheapest) gauge currently installed shows 58 PSI cold at cruising speed, 52 PSI warm cruising. At idle its around 35.

Reactions: 1 user

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I have Autometer Sport Comp 2 gauges and my 383 reads almost 65 psi on a cold start. It goes down to about 40 when it warms up to operating temp.

Podagrower

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2023
Changing the lights to gauges was on the list, but not near the top. Until I found a set locally for a decent price. I wound up using the oil pressure sending unit that matched the car it came the gauge came from, and predictably it was pegged over in the 60 PSI territory. I know this is the sort of thing my wife would mention every time she drives the car, so I "recalibrated" the gauge by removing the needle and sticking it back on so it shows 30 PSI.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor