ignition coil question? 307

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliEGooN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 8, 2012
Ok today I changed 8 plugs, wires, cap & rotor but left the coil. So engine wont start & I heard a clicking sound I saw ark coming from ignition coil red & white wires is that normal or is that coil bad

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
WilliEGooN said:
Ok today I changed 8 plugs, wires, cap & rotor but left the coil. So engine wont start & I heard a clicking sound I saw ark coming from ignition coil red & white wires is that normal or is that coil bad

If you have an HEI distributor, with the coil on the cap, make sure there is a ground strap on the coil. Many times, that strap is left off when changing out a coil. And if it gets broken, it can act the same way, as if it wasnt there. I would get a new coil, with a new strap and go from there....

WilliEGooN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 8, 2012
I would get a new coil, with a new strap and go from there..
thank for the info will do

WilliEGooN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 8, 2012
So I replaced the ignition coil & engine started right up but it sounds like a diesel engine now anny ideas on what is making it do this.

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Are you sure you installed the wires in the right order? Are the plugs gaped right I believe its supposed to be0.45 but could be Wrong. did all the wires click on to the spark plugs?

WilliEGooN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 8, 2012
Bowiemontecarlo86 said:
Are you sure you installed the wires in the right order? Are the plugs gaped right I believe its supposed to be0.45 but could be Wrong. did all the wires click on to the spark plugs?

Yezzir I double checked all wires & gaped them according to engine specs it called for .060 it was doing this before thats why I decided to tune it up

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
WilliEGooN said:
Yezzir I double checked all wires & gaped them according to engine specs it called for .060 it was doing this before thats why I decided to tune it up
Sounds like a vacuum leak. Check all the hoses, pcv valve, etc. also check your exhaust for good pressure...might have a clogged cat converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor