Ignition Cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadman

n00b
Oct 26, 2016
Hello all. I have an 84 Monte Carlo SS. long story short, the keys have been lost. I removed the cylinder but have found out that its going to take a bit to get a replacement as I live in a very remote area. My question is this, is it possible to remove the tumblers so any key will work to start and unlock the steering wheel?

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
A "ghetto set of keys" is a coat hanger, a slidehammer and a large screw driver.

I'm sure their are youtube videos for your particular situation. Some are probably a bit sketchy.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
If you removed the entire cylinder all you need is a screwdriver if it is not equipped with a security system. I don't remember that far back. Post a pic of the cylinder you took out and I will be able to tell. Did you remove the steering wheel to remove cylinder assembly?

deadman

n00b
Oct 26, 2016
If you removed the entire cylinder all you need is a screwdriver if it is not equipped with a security system. I don't remember that far back. Post a pic of the cylinder you took out and I will be able to tell. Did you remove the steering wheel to remove cylinder assembly?
I did remove the steering wheel. I fiund a place online and ordered a new lock cylinder. It has been replaced with the new part. Now to order the door and trunk lock. Thanks for the reply

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
When I replaced mine I went with original stainless steel. After that I found black ones. I wish I had those for the contrast. Don't forget the gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor