ignition module test

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Does anyone know how to test a 4 pin ignition module. I tried searching it on the internet but there is so much crap online now it's a shot in the dark trying to find something...

thanks in advance..

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
module

on a no fire hei what i do is take the cap and rotor off but leave the cap connected... turn the key on and take a test light and connect it to the positive side of the battery, now take the test light and touch the module on the pick up side ..just keep taping it, you may have to try the other wire on the same side..... if the module is good you should hear it trigger the coil..this would mean the pick up is bad...now if it doesn't fire the coil do the same thing on the other side of the module..if the coil fires the module is bad, if not the coil is bad...... you need to try this ..if you don't have a test light handy you can lick both index fingers and touch the battery with one hand and the module with the other finger and do the same test...try it it works...i hope this helps...jesse

Attachments

• All three.jpg
    All three.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 346
  • dryer part number.jpg
    dryer part number.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 310

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have the module out of the car and it's out of a distributor for a ZZ4 crate engine so it's supposed be an upgraded module. I switched it out for an Acell yesterday because I was having ignitions issues so I want to bench test it to see if it was the cause of some of the problems.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
pontiacgp said:
I have the module out of the car and it's out of a distributor for a ZZ4 crate engine so it's supposed be an upgraded module. I switched it out for an Acell yesterday because I was having ignitions issues so I want to bench test it to see if it was the cause of some of the problems.

most auto parts stores should be able to test it ... just try and find one not full of de-de-de s (a.k.a. Auto Zone)

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
DrRansom442 said:
pontiacgp said:

most auto parts stores should be able to test it ... just try and find one not full of de-de-de s (a.k.a. Auto Zone)

Yep. That's what i was trying to say.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
module

send you a pm....jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor