Im new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuner4life

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 18, 2009
Bremen, IN
Hello, My name is Jason,

I come from the tuner/import scene and am looking to broaden my horizons. I hate riced out sh*t and prefer tastefully done vehicles. I have owned all kinds of stuff, from civic, prelude, celica, 300zx, saab, volvo, etc... Right now I have a 1992 saab 9000 turbo and I love it. I have owned some american cars before and have not been impressed, but nothing muscle. So I figure I'll give it a try, therefore I am here gathering info. I do all my own work and know my way around an engine.

But please no import hate, I can respect everyones rides, I just ask that you respect me. Many of the domestic forums that I have looked around at are very rude at the mention of anything but their choice car.

Anyways...

A friend of mine's dad has a rust free '83 malibu wagon that has been in his garage for years that needs an engine and I am considering getting it and dropping a new engine in it (dont know which engine yet). He wants 500 for it. That seems like a pretty good deal right?

Hopefully I can learn alot, as well as contribute. This forum seems to be quite nice

Thanks.

Welcome. That sounds like a great deal for the wagon.

Welcome!

Wagons are awesome, I've got two myself. $500 sounds like a great deal for a solid car... You should probably post some pics for us though, we like pictures.

Thanks, I'm gonna be out to his house this weekend so I'll see if I can take a few.

I have to sell my second car (1995 Volvo 850 glt) before I buy anything, but he will hold it for me If I ask.

What would be a reasonable amount to expect to spend for a decient engine/trans? 350 or bigger engine and th350 or 700r4 trans. assembled, or If I build it myself. Basically to get it on the road.

Jason, you should have started posting last Friday :twisted: :lol: .

Grab that Wagon!

+ you will to change your sign on.

hey im comsidering getting into the import scene lol, what did you think of the 300zx?

If you want to stick with an auto, you should be able to run a 2004R like the Montes/Regals/GNs have with a stock crossmember (earlier models that didn't come with it didn't have the frame extension needed, there's a chance the '83 won't either, I'm not up on wagons too much). Put in a 3.42 or 3.73 rear, build a mild Vortec-headed 350 (you can probably do it with a good used junkyard motor for $1,000 or less), and you'll have a fun cruiser on your hands 😀

Another option (although not exactly cheap) is possibly find a T-Type/GN drivetrain and swap it in. Turbo 3.8 & tons of potential 😉

2000.malibu.ls said:
hey im comsidering getting into the import scene lol, what did you think of the 300zx?

The import scene is great, if you know what you are talking about and dont try to make it seem like your 1.5l civic is the sh*t and will stomp any and all competitor nomatter what. There are a ton of options and a wide variety of styles. The biggest thing that you will have to get used to after driving muscle cars is that there is usually very little torque with the imports, the power comes on later and higher up in the rev range, especially with turbo.

The 300zx I had was an '85 n/a and was slow. I pulled it out of a barn, changed the oil, and drove the piss out of it. A newer one or a turbo one would be alot nicer.

boost is definitely addicting. If you like the 300zx. Also look at the supras. The mk4 is stupid expensive, but you can get a mk3 (late 80s-early 90s) for reasonable. Put a cometic head gasket and some arp studs in it and boost the living sh*t out of it. The nissans are fun, but a Pita to work on compared to others.

I am not planning on "leaving" the tuner scene, but I like variety so...

welcome to the site, nothing wrong with having many passions of vehicles. hopefully you can get that wagon project underway soon

tuner4life said:
2000.malibu.ls said:
boost is definitely addicting.

Very very true. I've never owned an import, but ten turbo cars in as many years definately leaves an itch to be scratched.

If you can scrape the parts together, a Turbo 6 swap would probably be right up your alley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor