Inner fenderwells or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dugan

Greasemonkey
Jun 15, 2011
What does every one think about a strip car with or without fenderwells. I think it would lighten up the car a bit, but I was also told by removing them it can cause air drag. Anyone have any information on this?

Thanks

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
I really cant see there being air drag with them removed.

I took mine out well over a year ago. No idea about ET effect but I like it without them especially if your running a cowl. I could see the hot air from the exhaust being directed upwards which could be bad. but if you seal off the cowl that is avoided.

I would say its personal preference. the engine will get really dirty, really fast.

They dont weight much. Maybe only a few pounds. Maybe like 8lbs or so each if i remember. thats with the bottles on them.

Dugan

Greasemonkey
Jun 15, 2011
I Googled it too and its a bunch of nonsense information. Nothing about the question I asked.. flame on

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
Here's just one of many:

Removing the wheel wells is a very common miss-conception. The only possible benefit is the weight savings. GM wheel wells only weigh 8-12 lbs each. 20 lbs of savings is not going to show up on the track. 100lbs is only 0.10 seconds. Every time I talk to a racer who only tried removing them and no other improvements slows down about .20 in the quarter. Why?

With wheel wells on, at high speed 90% the air in the well stays in there circulating around the tire. The air going under the front of the car keeps flowing under and out of the back of the car. The high speed of this air also creates low pressure pulling the car down increasing traction and stability, and reduces the amount of air flowing under (less drag). High end exotics, road race cars and NASCA cars all have wheel wells, a flat floor pan and a diffuser at the back to increase this natural effect.

When you remove the wheel wells, the air is now confused. Air flowing under the front end is pulled up into the engine bay building pressure against the fire wall and then has to find a way out either the wheels or under the car with a great deal of turbulence. The negative effects on air flow and drag hurt ET and can also cause a drop of 2-4 MPH.

The biggest down side is what happens when you take your car out on a nice day and a rain storm comes through. Any driving on the slightest wet conditions makes a massive mess of your engine bay. You will also clintch at the sounds of pebbles bouncing around in there or small rocks creating bumps from dents on the under side of the hood (in your case cracking you fiberglass hood).

The main reason I can tell that race do it is for easy clearance to work on the engine and access spark plugs (small Chevy). As the car gets faster they will usually have tin wells fabricated that can easily be removed using quarter turn fasteners.

Read more: http://forums.highperformancepontiac.co ... z1kzXrKXXB

Doug

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
What Doug posted is what I've always heard as well.

Those pieces of plastic are doing more by being in place than not.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
wow thats good info.... totally settles me on that I am doing with the wiper area on the top part of the firewall... Its coming out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor