Introducing Resources... Now What Goes In It?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I would like to see the ls swap threads gone through and pull relevant info for today out and make something current.

There is a ton of info there, it's just buried. And there s new options for some of the old ways.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I would like to see the ls swap threads gone through and pull relevant info for today out and make something current.

There is a ton of info there, it's just buried. And there s new options for some of the old ways.
1000hp for $1000!!!!!

:mrgreen:

• Informative
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
In case it wasn't clear what I was talking about, there's a new link up top (along with the new Groups) called Resources. That's where all this will live.

Here's an example of it in heavy use, by the company that makes this software...

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I’m not following. ‘Splain?

Instead of having this info buried in forum threads, the goal is to have a structured library of "fixed" reference content that is (hopefully) kept up to date. Having it all buried in the threads is nice and all, but it can be hard to find and there's always people asking the same questions. This way (again hopefully) those questions can just get directed to the library and closed. So instead of a forum thread for "wiring diagrams" where everyone is chiming in and cluttering up the works, there's just a single "resource" for wiring diagrams (or specific diagrams, whatever).... that is always in the same place. And while there can still be discussion on it, it isn't front and center, but in a separate tab on the resource. Clicking a link to it won't take you to the latest post in a 300+ page thread (hence not wanting to link to build threads etc.), where you still have to dig to find stuff. You just get that information.

Reactions: 1 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
So if someone gathers current info on a topic, how would you like it presented to you to be put in that section?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Instead of having this info buried in forum threads, the goal is to have a structured library of "fixed" reference content that is (hopefully) kept up to date. Having it all buried in the threads is nice and all, but it can be hard to find and there's always people asking the same questions. This way (again hopefully) those questions can just get directed to the library and closed. So instead of a forum thread for "wiring diagrams" where everyone is chiming in and cluttering up the works, there's just a single "resource" for wiring diagrams (or specific diagrams, whatever).... that is always in the same place. And while there can still be discussion on it, it isn't front and center, but in a separate tab on the resource. Clicking a link to it won't take you to the latest post in a 300+ page thread (hence not wanting to link to build threads etc.), where you still have to dig to find stuff. You just get that information.
Punched in the first entry. Good one for the top of the list. Do you want to point to whole threads, or individual posts? If the latter, you might need to edit the entry to point to my post (#5) Because I’m an expert. :roll:

I’ve written this type of post at least five times. I have some digging to do to find the better one that includes whole paragraphs of advice on the process.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
So if someone gathers current info on a topic, how would you like it presented to you to be put in that section?

That's the beauty of this, it doesn't really require any specific format. Simply writing it as a new resource is good enough, but we can put PDFs, links to external sites/content, internal links, (threads, media, etc.) videos, images, spreadsheets, powerpoints, whatever. And we can change it, modify it, add to it, etc. and it stays in one place.

I will be moderating submissions to whatever categories we wind up with, so there's not just people dumping random junk in there, but the focus should be on quality, "static-ness" (is this information valid now and in the future?), factual, to-the-point, etc.

And I'm open to a few people acting as moderators for this section, once we get it underway and people get how to use it.

Punched in the first entry. Good one for the top of the list. Do you want to point to whole threads, or individual posts? If the latter, you might need to edit the entry to point to my post (#5) Because I’m an expert. :roll:

I’ve written this type of post at least five times. I have some digging to do to find the better one that includes whole paragraphs of advice on the process.

Hmm. Yeah, see, I don't get why you'd just link to a thread there that really doesn't have much useful in it. Just went through it. If it had a "spreadsheet for planning a restoration" or something like that then you'd want to link to that directly, or have it be the resource itself. Bc I don't see how that thread really relates to the title of the resource...

Linking to threads isn't really the goal, unless they're the stickies here in Howto/KB that I've already "blessed" as being archival type content. It should be more about pulling the important bits out and featuring them specifically.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor