CUTLASS Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2021
NW AR
Hi all,
Have been combing thru the forums for a clean swap from a 1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme, factory package includes 305, 3-speed floor shifted, with t-tops (it has a letter from Olds saying it's one of 1433 made in 1987 with this package). And - 37xxx miles! I've talked to probably every aftermarket company in the country and they all come up with the same answer - "sorry guy, I got nothing to boost that 305's power (170HP) or torque.". So I've been doing research as best I can to find a suitable swap - everything from big 400+" Olds to LS1s to 5.3 to 6.0's. A Hurst Olds clone is the dream vision. I also have a restored 1972 Buick Skylark... needless to see parts are hard to come by...so much for older choices.?! Any way I've done late model Chevy half ton swaps but nothing like this. A hot 350 or stoker 383 would be nice but have no experience to pull everything together. Any advice is welcome.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Welcome.

What do YOU want to do? Make a goal of where you vision the car to be when you're done and work toward that. If you want LS swap, the initial engine/trans purchase may be fairly cheap, but then....$$$ will need to fall out of your wallet to get the rest of it done.

You can get other options for a lot less and still have fun. These cars handle poorly compared to newer cars, especially if it doesn't have the F41 suspension option. But can be made to handle better. Again....$$. But first I'd deal with drivetrain. It's easier to get that done, then work the suspension around the HP that you need to control.

If'n it were me, 455 would be an easy choice, but I think if I were just looking for a fun but easy swap, I'd do a 403 hanging with an Olds engine. They're getting harder to find, but all the 307 accessory junk you can use to install it. The 455 fits too, but then you need to beef up a TH200-4R should you go that route.

But if you wanted to stay SBC, a 383 could be lots of fun. Then I'd definitely get rid of that transmission and swap to an OD, maybe try to find, or buy aftermarket, a stronger rear with 3.42 or 3.73 gearing.

Lots of options ahead of you.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor