is it worth it...help me out guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali
i have a 83 cutlass 231 v6 and i wanted to drop a 350 but im not working right now and money is tight. my buddy crashed his 84 Pontiac Grand Prix LE It has a 305 V8, Automatic and Air and its FULLY LOADED for 300 cash.
imag00011.jpg

is it worth the trouble to buy his complete car and swap everything to my cutlass. i know it would help me out if i had the 305 in my car because someday i will drop a 350 but i just cant do it now.

#1. should i just keep the v6?
#2. buy the GP so i could swap to a 305?
#3.just wait for a year or so then do the 350 swap once i start working again?

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Well for starters I wouldn't buy a complete car unless you wanted other components such as drivetrain or interior. Since the car has the same trans and rearend as your Cutlass there isn't an advantage of taking them. And the car is busted up pretty bad so after you get done stripping it you'll have to dispose of it; which will probly cost you. I'd wait. You can get a better donner car for about the same amount of money. If all you want is the engine and trans wait to find a 350, don't settle for a tired 305. I wouldn't get it. For $300 you can get a hold of a 350 in a junkyard and be better off.

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali
well i was thinkin the whole car because of the drivetrain and the rear seat of the interior. i live in cali and i know i cant just put a 350 in my car because of all the smog stuff and i can get everything from this car.

i've seen sbc 350's for about 500 to 600 around here but it would kill me in cost to put it all together piece by piece. i was told if i look to buy just a 350 engine i still have alot of work because my car is a v6. i would need new motor mounts possible new transmission and cross member, cat then the computer, raditor and that seems like a lot of little things to buy so its seem much cheaper to buy a complete car....now if im wrong about this stuff please tell me how a cali guy should do this.

even if i dont buy this grand prix it seems like i should still buy a complete car when it comes time for me to do a swap because i need so much stuff.

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali
Chevyman85 said:
Well for starters I wouldn't buy a complete car unless you wanted other components such as drivetrain or interior. Since the car has the same trans and rearend as your Cutlass there isn't an advantage of taking them. And the car is busted up pretty bad so after you get done stripping it you'll have to dispose of it; which will probly cost you. I'd wait. You can get a better donner car for about the same amount of money. If all you want is the engine and trans wait to find a 350, don't settle for a tired 305. I wouldn't get it. For $300 you can get a hold of a 350 in a junkyard and be better off.

so you sayin the GP with a 305 has the same drivetrain as a cutlass with 231. i though the GP would have larger gears and maybe better torque converter over the stock v6 drivertrian?

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
If you have a place to keep it while you are striping it etc until you are ready to take it to the salvage yard, BUY IT. You get a fair amount of stuff for $300. Engine, accessories, motor mounts, transmission, rear, GP braces, tires, then the yard should pay you for the car as they are going to sell the steel etc.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
youngdeezy said:
Chevyman85 said:

so you sayin the GP with a 305 has the same drivetrain as a cutlass with 231. i though the GP would have larger gears and maybe better torque converter over the stock v6 drivertrian?
If it has a 3-Speed auto it will have the same drive train. TH-200C Trans and a 7.5" open rear end most likley with 2.41 gears. Nothing special. The only thing I'm not sure about it the gear ratio But the housing and carier will be the same. As far as radiator and other compenents that you'll need to swap that car looks pretty busted up. I'd at least want one that is strait to begin with. A donor car is always a good idea but get one that has everything you need; dont settle for the first thing you can find.

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
I wish I lived closer. I need a passenger door for my 84 GP. I bet that California car has a clean set of doors, assuming they weren't damaged in the wreck.

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali
thanks for all the help guys but i just found a 1984 Buick Park Av for $900 with 350 in it. it has 107,*** but it runs like a champ...the sale is pending as i speak. my friend has the hookup at a towyard and he told the owner bout me. im gonna try to hand the guy 700/750 cash so wish me luck!

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
youngdeezy said:
thanks for all the help guys but i just found a 1984 Buick Park Av for $900 with 350 in it. it has 107,*** but it runs like a champ...the sale is pending as i speak. my friend has the hookup at a towyard and he told the owner bout me. im gonna try to hand the guy 700/750 cash so wish me luck!
For sure man, Good luck! Let us know what happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor