Is my bumper salvageable??

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

Well, to make a long story short, the precious owner of my GP was a drunk. He liked to hit things. Thus, my bumper. AND my rear quarter. AND my door. AND... You get the idea. Anyway, my focus right now is my rear bumper. It's poked in. Grantid, there is those bumperette things, I'm not sure if my bumper is wrecked and un salvageable, or if I can just wiggle this, shimmy that and it pops right out. I haven't really lookeed into it that much, but could anyone give me any advise from previous experience of what to look for when I do?

Thanks!!

P3020430.jpg

My front bumper just hangs there, but after a screw or two, I'm sure that'll be just fine as well...

P3040491.jpg

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
you can probably push yje rear bumper out with a porta power. my park ave looked a LOT worse than that before i did mine. looks like its just the bumper shocks. :D

LedPhoot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2007
Washington NC
if you have a scissor jack you might be able to slip it between the rear of the car and the bumper and screw it out but be sure you are moving the bumper and not bending the truck floor. You might just want to drop the bumper and hook a chain around the bumper shock to a tree and have someone watch you pull forward until it sticks out as far as the other side.. I recommend not trying this with the bumper in place because the chain might dig in and tweak the bottom of the bumper.. Or, if you see it is just the impact shock you can just unbolt and replace it with a junkyard part... same impact used on all G bodys... Any way you go it will look better even if it isnt dead on...

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Guys, I'll have the car back in a few days, so I gotta know how to do this. You can physically pop the black cap off the bumperette and actually screw the bumper back out / pull it back out? Or what's up here? I'm fixing this, my front bumper, and the big dent in my rear quarter, so any help will be greatly appreiciated!!!

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
There's some 86 lower grilles on ebay..looks like yours (to me).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor