is the olds 307 really that week

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Wow lots of dis-information in this thread. There is always guys on here that know when someone talks out their arse but most of the time if its not hurting someone else they just let it go because they remember that they to once upon a time talked out of their arse before they knew what they know about something even if by accident.

My 88 307 Cutty with 2.56 gear & 200-4R also got 17 mpg. Which is what most people get out of a 307 when driven moderately with a the standard mix of about 45% city & 55% hwy. When my well built & moderately cammed 509ci Cadillac engine went in the same car with a built 200-4R, working lock-up converter, tuned Q-jet, & 3.42 gears it also managed 17.0 mpg on a hwy trip. But would eat a lot more when stop lighting around town. :mrgreen: The major difference being that was the day after making its first dragstrip appearance on a test & tune night where it ran 12.5 @ 109 mph just a scotch better than my stock 307. :wink: That trip was about 460 miles round trip mostly running between 70 & 75 mph.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
^^^Wow! Actual first hand experience and numbers to back it up. Imagine that on the interwebz :lol: .^^^

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Now that my 90 307 is out I'm gonna miss the milage. But the power difference has me addicted. My first car was powered by the olds 350 and have been a Olds fan ever since. I drove quite a few Caddys with the 307 and they had power!!! I think it was the rear gear. those cars were tipping the scales at 4000lbs and better. Something to look into IMO.

ChadF

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 11, 2012
jetsetw31 said:
And I saw another 307 at a race track spin to Damn near 9000 rpm and it was in a 87 Cutlass running mid 10's and wheel standing on launch.
Sounds like Rock Running's 87 cutlass from Lapeer Mi. It ran in SS/MA. The last time I saw it run was about 2001. I think it was running 11.06 on a 12.15 index. Pretty sure it was a 5a head 307. He also ran an Achieva with a 307 in GT/HA.

Wild Card

Apprentice
Jan 5, 2013
i have a bone stock olds 307 in my 83 cutlass 2dr with a holley 350 2bbl carb. it can squal the power tire on its own and has no problem smoking it on a power break. i took out all the smog and AC stuff. i also played with turning the distrubtor untill i got it running perfect. i had a 87 2dr supreme 3 years ago with a olds 350 out of a 77 cutlass. it was soo beat up it couldnt even squawk the tires. not even wile power breaking.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Wild Card said:
i also played with turning the distrubtor untill i got it running perfect
Wild Card said:
i had a 87 2dr supreme 3 years ago with a olds 350 out of a 77 cutlass. it was soo beat up it couldnt even squawk the tires. not even wile power breaking.
Sounds like both had timing issues. High mile olds motors have almost 80% of the time have worn timing chains. their power is there when in perfect time.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
OK, just for the h3ll of it...

I very recently had a very well maintained, very low milage VIN Y 83 307 in my car. Top of the line headers, nice exhaust system, 3.73 gears, 2400ish stall, cowl induction, a small 4 hole carb spacer, Qjet and I think that's about it. Even with all that, it was slow. I never got on it from a dead stop, but I'm sure it would've smoked the tires at least a little, but the overall performance was pretty lacking. I can't imagine anyone out there being happy with a stock 307 with just bolt ons and worse gearing.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
ChadF said:
Sounds like Rock Running's 87 cutlass from Lapeer Mi. It ran in SS/MA. The last time I saw it run was about 2001. I think it was running 11.06 on a 12.15 index. Pretty sure it was a 5a head 307. He also ran an Achieva with a 307 in GT/HA.
Holy %&#@!!!! That's the car. Running SS/MA. From MI eh? We saw it run in Ohio in '02 and it was 11's. Boy that thing had a evil launch. He swore it was a factory roller cam. The transmission, and rear end were the only non factory items. He had something on the suspension, I can't remember what. Slapper bars or a that upper control arm kit that changed the rear end angle. Every heavy thing in the car was carefully removed and could be returned to stock. I looked and saw the 5A heads, that's what convinced me he was running a 307. Strongest I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor