Is this overkill?

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I’ve had an idea kicking around in my head for a while now concerning rear lower control arm mount bracing.

I’ve got a HRPartsNStuff kit lying around that I’ve yet to install, but a the thought of those Upper to Lower mount tie in braces that companies like UMI and BMR Suspension sell, why not pick up a set of those and add those in?
The ones BMR makes have a flat plate on the lower, which could allow for welding those into place- but I doubt that would be beneficial.
The idea here is to create another load path along the frame to help support the notched section. I’ve already got HR’s upper braces in place and there’s a set of IC brackets in there from Trick Chassis.

Then there’s one other addition I’d like to throw at this wall: “Sub”- Frame connectors.
Was picking through old threads via a google search one day and found motoheadmike’s GTO Wagon build, and he had an interesting substitute for boxing the frame in:

In theory, I could add another (!) tie in from the lower portion of these braces to the lower control arms, however I get there’d be an issue with the frame pulling on the lower mounts so much that I’d risk tearing them out.

Thoughts?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The links that UMI sells ave worked for me. I've welded in the upper and lower HRPartsnStuff a-arm braces as well. I'm yet to bend, twist or ruin my frame yet. But I also have an 8 point cage in as well.

What Mike did is a fine idea if you don't want to put a cage in as far as I'm concerned. On another car that didn't have a cage, I put in braces that attached to the rear crossmember from the both frame rails. But that car was no where near as fast as I've been.

Regardless, overkill is never a bad thing, but there is no need to re-invent the wheel IMO. If I were you, I'd support the a-arm mounts and put in the UMI links and forget about it. And of course be sure that your body mounts are in very good condition using either solid aluminum, poly body mounts. or re-purposed hockey pucks.

Reactions: 3 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
The links that UMI sells ave worked for me. I've welded in the upper and lower HRPartsnStuff a-arm braces as well. I'm yet to bend, twist or ruin my frame yet. But I also have an 8 point cage in as well.

What Mike did is a fine idea if you don't want to put a cage in as far as I'm concerned. On another car that didn't have a cage, I put in braces that attached to the rear crossmember from the both frame rails. But that car was no where near as fast as I've been.

Regardless, overkill is never a bad thing, but there is no need to re-invent the wheel IMO. If I were you, I'd support the a-arm mounts and put in the UMI links and forget about it. And of course be sure that your body mounts are in very good condition using either solid aluminum, poly body mounts. or re-purposed hockey pucks.
Well, I think I’ll just send the whole shebang then. I’ll just substitute the .125 wall tubing Mike used for .083 to cut down on weight.
I’m hoping to use the car for some autocross time next summer when I get it finished.

It’s already got poly body mounts, a GNX style rear seat brace and a GP bar up front. Just don’t want to bend anything on these PA back roads.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor