It might not be a 267ci after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinrocks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2007
Louisville, KY
So, I had to swap out starters in my car today. Here in Louisville it has been raining non stop since sunday (until today) I purchased the starter on saturday, and just finally got to tackle it. After the battle with the header.... :oops: I get the starter off. Without second thought, I reached for the new starter, held it up, went to put the bolts in, and guess what? They don't line up. The starter that came off the car had the bolt holes staggered, where the new one I purchased didn't.

I took the starter back to the store, and asked them to check years and models that the 267 came in. It kept pulling up the same model starter. So, I told him to check a 350ci motor. Sure enough, thats the correct starter.

So my question here is this. What other model small block chevys use that style starter? I think maybe it could be a 305, not sure if it would use the same starter as a 350, or 400? I really don't think it's a any bigger than a 305. I'm going to try to get to the casting numbers when I can, but In the mean time, I'm trying to get some clarification if possible. :D

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
It's most likely a 305, a 350 and a 305 share the same starter.

kevinrocks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2007
Louisville, KY
Chevyman85 said:

The previous owner told me it was a 267 with 350ci heads. Now I'm pretty much shooting in the dark on what it is.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
You wont know for sure unless you get the casting #'s off the block but for the time being I'd say its a 305. I wouldn't go by what the previous owner said. He probly didn't know what it was either... :?

kevinrocks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2007
Louisville, KY
Chevyman85 said:
You wont know for sure unless you get the casting #'s off the block but for the time being I'd say its a 305. I wouldn't go by what the previous owner said. He probly didn't know what it was either... :?

Yeah, apparantly the motor starter out in his brother in laws truck, and then he bought it and that whole jive. If it is a 305, I definatly need to re-check the timing and everything, because this motor should be running a lot better than it is.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Well you'd be suprised. GM 305's aren't exactly high performance... esp. a tired one. Believe me I'd know my car was a dog with the stock 305.

UnclesCamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2007
Northern Cambria, PA
kevinrocks said:
Chevyman85 said:

The previous owner told me it was a 267 with 350ci heads. Now I'm pretty much shooting in the dark on what it is.

If they put 350 heads on either the 267 or the 305 that would really make it run like crap, probably have about a 7:1 compression ratio. The 305 uses 58cc heads and most 350 heads are 76cc.

Rob

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I would also think that the 350 heads would have larger valves that would hit the smaller 267 bore. Anyhow, you will need to run the number stamped into the block behind the alternator ( passenger's side) on a pad that is an extension of the deck surface to find out what it came from originally. If it has ever been decked, it will not be there, but if it is a 267 or 305, it is not as likely to have been rebuilt as a better SBC.The pad is only about 1x 1/2 in in size and is at the front of the block right in front of the head. It's a 2 or 3 digit code if memory serves. For example, a CTB block is a LT-1 350 from a 1970 Camaro Z-28 with a manual trans ( IIRC) and a DZ is a 302 from a 1969 Z-28. There are probably hundreds of codes for all sorts of different applications, those are just two I happen to remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor