Status
Not open for further replies.

bmxer_coon

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2011
Eastpointe, MI, 48021

99 Cobra IRS​

99irs-02.jpg
Well that solves that! I'm going back this weekend and if they still have it I might try to talk them down, or at least cut the back half off for experiment 😅

Reactions: 1 user

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I will second that it looks to be a Lincoln Mark 8 set up....
give aways are:
the round Ford pinion flange
the 8.8 cover on the center section
the air springs rather than coils.
Ford used a similar set up on the 89-97 MN12 chassis Thunderbirds and Cougars but those would have coil springs as would the 99-04 Cobras

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Yo!! NO!!! cut up a decent clean frame?? I get that it has been modified significantly to accept that independent rear suspension and frame swaps are a monumental PITA but even if you talk them into red wrenching the rear section off, you still have to figure out how to graft it into another frame. And graft is the correct term since your pictures clearly shot that the supporting structure for that rear end is solidly welded into position. Apart from the afore-mentioned divorce, or personal bankruptcy, or loss of employment, or just plain loss of enthusiasm, the only thing that does come to mind is that whoever did the install didn't measure multiple times before doing the welding and the install is either crooked or the wheel base measurement got shifted somehow. Hard to tell without taking a tape to the frame and doing the measurements for yourself.

All this aside, it does look very pretty, even as rusty as it looks, which offers another thought that the project stalled sometime ago and the chassis got left out in a field or lawn without proper cover. To get to a bare clean frame is doable but labor intensive. Wonder if it was someone's dream car and the shop of choice either botched the job or went out of business.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
Could be a 90s thunderbird super coupe

bmxer_coon

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2011
Eastpointe, MI, 48021
Whatever it is, it was driven in the Michigan salt. That’s a pretty cool find but I’d pass on it due to all the rust. If you’re bound and determined to graft an IRS into a G body you’d be better served finding parts in the South.
This is true it's at the us Auto sterling heights and it definitely has its fair share of rust.

Its technically inline for the crusher so I wasn't gungho on trying to graft it Onto my car as much as trying to save it from total demise. However not at the $500 price tag lol.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
If the frame is rotted, cut it off before the forward connections, take it home and disassemble it, scrap the unused section of frame. The engineering has already been done, just cut and copy into your existing framework.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Thunderbird/Mark VIII are 99% the same and that's my guess

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Reactions: 1 user

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I want an 89-97 5.0L t-bird someday - do a 351W swap. These t-birds are not popular for restoration. I wonder why. Must be missing something, besides being super heavy compared to g-body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor