Just put on a set of 8" Snowflakes and they rub on the tie rods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I used ARP 2-1/2" lugs when I did the rear brake conversion and needed more threads. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-100-7708/overview/

The S10 brake conversion moves the wheels out about 3/16". Factory rims were 15". Save this idea for later when the brake pads get thin...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

StreetStock#72

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2017
If you go with spacers - torque your nuts regularly. :notworthy:

• Agree

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I don't know if I missed it or not, but is this happening at the point of almost full lock in the steering? if it is, you may be able to get by with mod I've seen done where you put a bolt on the lower control arm and adjust it to limit the spindle travel.... damned if I can remember the name of the mod.

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
I had the exact same problem. I tried the 4 15X8s I had and they rubbed in the exact same places. I found that a 5/16 wheel spacer from Canadian tirefixed that, but my tires rubbed in the fender hard. So I thought that a set of 15x7s would probably have less back spacing and be good for a narrower tire. Turns out that the 15x8 and 15x7 rims both have 4" back spacing and require longer wheel studs and a spacer. I used Doorman wheel studs and bought brand new rotors to install them in.

Pontiacdaver

Greasemonkey
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
I don't know if I missed it or not, but is this happening at the point of almost full lock in the steering?

Unfortunately, it is contact between the wheel and the outer tie rod, which stays constant no matter if the steering is straight or turning.

Thanks to all for the great input, I am going to look at it in detail today, to see what options are available, and what the best choice is.

-Dave

Pontiacdaver

Greasemonkey
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
OK, figured out how to fix the problem of the studs being too short with spacers. I found that mag wheel lugnuts (3/4" shank) make up the difference and fit. I put 5/16" spacers on and the lugnuts thread down in the wheel and give me almost exactly the same amount of thread depth as the stock lugnuts did without the spacers and I gained about a 1/4" clearance from the tie rods. I'll post photos of the car and the lugnuts as soon as I can get them downloaded from my camera.

Thanks for all the great input.

-Dave

• Creative
Reactions: 1 users

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
Hey Dave, I have the 15X7 snowflakes on my Lemans and had the same fitment problems. I just used a small spacer, around 1/4 inch if memory serves and used the longer mag wheel bolts/washers. I can't remember the exact sizes but I've been running it this way for about 7 years with no problems.

• Informative

Pontiacdaver

Greasemonkey
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Hey Dave, I have the 15X7 snowflakes on my Lemans and had the same fitment problems. I just used a small spacer, around 1/4 inch if memory serves and used the longer mag wheel bolts/washers. I can't remember the exact sizes but I've been running it this way for about 7 years with no problems.

Hi Dean,

Thanks for the input. It sounds like you did exactly what I did, glad to know it works long-term.

-Dave

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Pontiacdaver

Greasemonkey
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
When running Snowflake rims you have to use shank style lug nuts, they are not designed for acorn style lug nuts.

I have the correct snowflake lugs for the wheels, but with the 5/16" spacers, I needed a mag style shank to reach deeper into the wheels, to make up what I lost with the spacers.

-Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor