Just thinkin' out loud.... What if Caddy had a G-Body?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess they figured they had that size class covered with the Seville and El Dorado. They are similar in length, but a bit wider than a G body, so it would have been redundant to have two personal luxury cars. Perhaps what is oddest though is that Caddy had a J car- the Cimirron. Yes, you could get a Cavalier with a fancy grille, leather seats and a digital dash. About the only one of those things not available on other J car clones was the leather seats. The earliest Cimirrons seem to share the Cavalier's header panel, and just make do with a different grille. The J car horror was not limited to the US either. Opel, Vauxhall, Holden and I think Daewoo all got versions of this wretched world car as well.

Haha.... We've got a customer with a Cimmaron.... Don't tell Cimmaron owners their car is just a Cavalier....

OH NO IT"S NOT!!!! IT"S A CADILLAC!!!! A GOD DAMN CADILLAC!!!

Lmao, I was just explaining to him that I went and got some of the peices we couldn't find in town at U-Pull it from a Cavalier, since they're the same car..... bad idea..

As for the status of Cad's engine in the 90's and such... I have a strong dislike for Northstars.... sure they're great engines, until something breaks.

Let's count our blessings they didn't "Cimmaron" a g-body. The vision in my head of a 4-door Malibu with gold logos, a continental spare tire package, and a phantom top is not a pretty picture.

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
The J car horror was not limited to the US either. Opel, Vauxhall, Holden and I think Daewoo all got versions of this wretched world car as well.

maybe that's the real reason the rest of the world hates us!!! :lol:

waggin said:
Let's count our blessings they didn't "Cimmaron" a g-body. The vision in my head of a 4-door Malibu with gold logos, a continental spare tire package, and a phantom top is not a pretty picture.

You mean like Lincoln did with the Versailles? A few cosmetic upgrades to the Granada plus rear disc brakes.
I think if caddy had done a g body it would have been based on the 4 door regal/cutlass. Since those 2 models had just about every option a caddy could have including the big pillow backed seats what could caddy have done with it besides a different grille and tail lights? And even then they would have been almost identical to the first sevilles 76-79.
The bad rep for caddy engines is based on the HT4100 first used in 1982. Problem was with the 1981's 8-6-4. So they scrambled to use something that could meet the govt fuel requirements. That led to using the underpowered HT4100 in 82 and up big caddies. The engine was originally planned for the coming downsized 85 FWD deville.

But remember GM never advertised it as a Cadillac Cimmaron. It was The Cimmaron BY Cadillac. So technically they tried to avoid the obvious. I mean, the stupid thing came with a 4 speed manual transmission in the base version!!! Then GM repeated the mistake in the 90's with that Catera POS!!!! If you want a Cadillac and can't afford it, buy a Buick. Shesh!!

I also think the Jaguar X-type is just as bad, and has ruined the Jag name. It has a freaking Taurus 3.0L in it!!! How pissed would you be if you went and bought a new Jag, not knowing you just bought an overprised RWD Taurus?

Oh, but the X-Type isn't a Taurus. No, it's a European Ford Mondeo with a Jag badge attached to it. It's the Jag for people who can't afford a real one. Sort of like a Lexus ES. Yes, it says Lexus on it, but it's really just a Camry underneath. Now for the real luxury Taurus, you needed to buy a Lincoln Continental. Want a Luxury Nissan Maxima? Buy an Infiniti I 30. Want a Luxury NEW Taurus? Lincoln MK X. Town Cars are really just Crown Victoria taxi cabs under it all, and the list goes on and on. When it comes to the pseudo luxury models, there is usually a mundane lesser brand car underneath the skin. After all, if you want real luxury, you need to buy a Bentley Continental... oops... it's a VW Phaeton underneath...

I think if you want a real luxury car you need something very very special....

A Chrysler Cordoba... With Soft Corinthian Leather.....

Haha.....

Haha, I actually own a Cordoba. No Corinthian leather though just velvet. Although I did buy another Cordoba just as a parts car or something and it has the bucket seats with Corinthian leather and a moon roof.

Catera's are dreadful.

my dad's caddy deville 97 has had its problems, not saying the northstar is not a good engine, it picks up good, takes abuse, and produces enough power. Caddy has always been gm base line cars with silly upgrades that you really didnt need, like a digital dash, and a two bin ashtray. My dad's car is nice to drive, but it feels just like my g-body with rear disks, and where talking about a 11 yr difference.

I think the new caddys have steered away from the chevy, line up and have a unique look now, though their interior is still gm made, and shabby, i think and hope that they will make it in the future because how can you not like a caddy its a big bad American boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor