Just Wondering.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacman469

Master Mechanic
Jul 18, 2008
Bangor,Maine
So i read somewhere olds was the first to "try" airbags back in the 70s?Also another thread i saw got me thinking cause i remember a buddy having a like 81 olds front wheel drive 350 rocket...who was the first on that also (fwd v8 that is)??

87GP

Greasemonkey
Jul 15, 2006
First FWD V8 was a 66 toronado as far as I know.
Cadillac had air bags in 1974 not sure when Olds but Olds back then was always the test grounds for the other lines.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
I'm not sure about Chevy and Pontiac, but both Olds and Buick had airbags available in 1974 in B-bodies. The term at the time was "Air-cushion restraints" I worked for a Buick dealer in while in college, and only saw one airbag car. Despite being sold at a loss compared to the factory's cost, the option was a dismal failure, and was not cataloged for 1975.
They were the only cars allowed to be sold in 1974 without the dreaded "seat belt interlock", where the starter wouldn't function without the driver side seat belt buckled. I made a lot of tips from customers by taking their car for a short test drive, and returning with the interlock circuit disconnected.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor