keyless entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsharma

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2014
So I was determined to add keyless entry to my 1981 Grand Prix but I wanted to keep this as close to stock as possible so after reading numerous threads, decided on getting the components out of a 97-99 Lumina, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, etc. Well yesterday I spent over three hours at the wreckers looking for the RKE module which apparently is mounted under the rear speaker deck. I must have gone through a dozen cars, ripping out back seats, passenger side kick panels but totally stumped. I could not find a single TRW RKE unit anywhere. And I know these cars came with keyless entry because I found the teardrop fob for most of them in the cars. So the million dollar question, where is this darn unit suppose to be? I plan on visiting the wrecker again this weekend so if anyone can help me out here please jump in. :?

Reactions: 1 user

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
nsharma said:
So I was determined to add keyless entry to my 1981 Grand Prix but I wanted to keep this as close to stock as possible so after reading numerous threads, decided on getting the components out of a 97-99 Lumina, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, etc. Well yesterday I spent over three hours at the wreckers looking for the RKE module which apparently is mounted under the rear speaker deck. I must have gone through a dozen cars, ripping out back seats, passenger side kick panels but totally stumped. I could not find a single TRW RKE unit anywhere. And I know these cars came with keyless entry because I found the teardrop fob for most of them in the cars. So the million dollar question, where is this darn unit suppose to be? I plan on visiting the wrecker again this weekend so if anyone can help me out here please jump in. :?

In the trunk on the bottom of the rear shelf. The program wire is behind the right side carpet and has a green connector.

Attachments

• 2009-02-25_064110_Transprogram.gif
    2009-02-25_064110_Transprogram.gif
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,181

nsharma

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2014
Since I'm in Canada I'm wondering if cars here are different, lol. :wtf: What to do? I'm heading to the wreckers again tomorrow. Wish me luck. :blam:

nsharma

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2014
I finally found one! Just for everyones info, it's located on the passenger side rear shelf right next to the rear speaker. It has to be accessed from the interior of the car. The process is remove the rear shelf cover and then the insulation pad. It is UNDER the insulation held to the metal rear deck with a strip of velcro. Make sure you take as much of the wiring harness as you can. For this you'll have to go through the trunk. There is a grey wire that goes to the trunk actuator so make sure you disconnect this from the actuator as well. I checked about 10 other cars and only one of them had it so it is a real hit and miss. Now hopefully I can find the power lock relay to hook up the module to. I'll try to post some pics of the procedure when I get to it. :)

nsharma

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2014
Installed the keyless entry module from a 99 Monte Carlo in my GP today. Here's a few pointers for those attempting this.

Remove the passenger side kick panel to locate the factory power door lock relay. It has two connectors with a total of 5 wires attached. Also, remove the glove box to give you easy access to the wiring.

I found the best place to mount the RKE unit was directly right of the glove box. In this location you only need about 12 inches of wiring from the RKE module.

white wire on the RKE module attaches to the black wire on the power door lock relay.

light blue wire on the RKE module attaches to the light blue wire on the power door lock relay.

beige wire on the RKE module attaches to the the beige wire which is located on a connector right next to the power door lock relay. There will be two beige wires on the connector, one going to the driver's side power door lock switch and another going back to the power door lock relay. Make sure you attach it to the driver's side wire.

black wire on the RKE module attaches to ground. I crimped it to a connector and attached it to the screw that attaches the power door lock relay to the body. Make sure you have a good ground here because the power door locks will not work if the relay is not grounded.

orange and light green wire on the RKE module attaches to a constant 12 volt power supply. I attached these two wires to the orange wire attached to the trunk release switch located in the glove box as it is always "hot" even without the key in the ignition.

grey wire on the RKE module attaches to the trunk release wire. I attached this wire to the black wire attached to the trunk release switch located in the glove box.

black wire with white stripe is your remote programming wire. To program your remote touch this wire to a good ground and it will cycle the door locks and trunk release. At the same time press both the lock and unlock button on your remote and hold for 10 seconds and remove the ground wire. Your remote should now be programmed.

All the remaining wires on the RKE module weren't used so I just rolled them up and tucked them away. I believe one of them (dark blue I think) can be hooked up to the headlights/tail lights and horn to visually and audibly let you know when you lock your car. I may attempt attaching this wire tomorrow and let you know how it worked out.

PS - mine works perfectly with my 3 button factory remote. Even opens the trunk and with the new trunk struts I put in last week, press the button and the trunk opens fully without any manual effort.

Enjoy. :D

Reactions: 1 users

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
subscribed!! I'm interested and looks like sweet upgrade. I like how we can update our 80's rides to newer standards!!

82Poncho

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2013
Ontario, Canada
That is cool. I also want RKE. I have an old remote start module with RKE that always worked well in 2 other cars it was in. I am not too interested in the starting feature but I would like to remotely open the windows. Our 2011 Caravan had this feature and I used it a lot. I just have to work out the wiring. 8)

oldsjunky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2013
I added a RKE on my 84 Cutlass. I just got a cheepy off eBay took me a little time to figure out the wires on the module but for $12 + $15 shipping sure beat the headaches of looking through a slavage yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor