L98 swap upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurderCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2014
Frederick MD
My current setup is the stock motor with 85k original miles. It has a performer intake & cam, accel ignition & 70's q-jet with all the emissions/computer stuff removed or bypassed. It runs strong but recently the crank seak & a freeze plug on the back of the block went so I picked up a rebuilt l98 from an 87 vette.

I plan to use the long block & serpentine accessories with the intake/carb from my 305. I'll also be adding a full exhaust-probably 2.5. My question is what mods would benefit me the most?

I've been looking at the hot cam but add the supporting parts & my budget build starts to snowball.

On that note I do have an aftermarket tpi & all the wiring I can trade if needed.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
Sounds like you have a good jump on it with some of the part and plans you have already.
Longtube headers with full exhaust will really help.

Port and polish would help, does it have the fast burn heads?
What are the goals and budget for engine mods?

MurderCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2014
Frederick MD
It has 128 casting aluminum heads. I have read intake is around 200 cfm. 1.94/1.5 valves. The local drag strip closed so my main goal is a healthy street car. It is not a dd.

pacman350

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2012
monticello, Ga
If your current engine is from the 70s you might have to get another intake. Most of the those late 80s to about 95 the middle 4 bolts actually go in at a diffrent angle then the older sbc intake. I've heard of leople elongating the bolt holes but i would rather have the right intake for it.

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
might consider an LT1 cam. Usually found used cheap, and should be a drop in.

MurderCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2014
Frederick MD
Thanks for the advice. The heads were used before they changed the bolt pattern and will work with older intakes.

Would the lt1 cam need new springs?

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
MurderCarlo said:
Would the lt1 cam need new springs?

You should have a roller cam there already. If so, the lifters, springs, etc should all be good to go. If the motor has a lot of mileage on it, would be worth the money to also change the timing chain at the same time- cheap insurance.

MurderCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2014
Frederick MD
Thanks darbysan. I do have a roller cam. I looked up the specs for the lt1 & my stock one has more duration. It looks like I would have more lift by going to 1.6 rockers. I like that route better. The engine doesn't have a lot of miles on it & that way I can avoid having to swap it. Plus I have the heads at home. Short block is stored till I can get everything together.

MurderCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2014
Frederick MD
Could anyone give me a good estimate of what kind of power & torque I will get from this combo? Again, performer intake, alum 10:1 heads with 1.94/1.50 valves & cam is 204/214, 414/431, 117 lsa hydraulic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor