GRAND PRIX Late to the Party

YoDaMic

n00b
Jun 1, 2024
How's it going everyone? A little long, sorry. Just the sentimental background and reasoning for me keeping my hopes alive...any guidance is welcome. I've got a 78 Grand Prix, Base with a 301, 3 speed automatic with 65K miles. All original. The problem is that it's been parked (in a climate controlled garage) for about 22 years, wrecked with a blown engine. My Gramps (Mom's Dad), who passed away when I was 15, bought it brand new. When he passed, Gramma gave it to my Dad. They knew he'd take care of it. He did, until I bought it from him when I was 17. I was a young dumbass who thought I was driving the General Lee or something. I basically ran it into the ground by the time I was 19. About that time, I decided to start getting my act together and karma happened. All within a 5-day work week, I rear ended someone, got fired from my job, and blew the engine. Header panel is toast, driver side fender is toast, bumper is bent in but probably salvageable, hood has a slight ding (also probably salvageable). Frame's probably okay, it was very low speed and the perfect storm of the height of her bumper compared to mine. Slight skip ahead. I was fortunate enough to be able to get into a home when I was in my early 20's, hence the garage, but I've never really been able to get ahead in any way until the past couple years. Now, my Pop is getiing a bit older and I'd really like to get this fixed while we can do it together. I'm not a huge gearhead, so I don't really have the best understanding of powertrains, but I have enough knowledge and the right tools to do this. I've been doing oil changes, brakes, coolant system stuff, etc. on my own vehicles for a while now. Pop has had plenty of experience on old GMs but I'm sure he's forgotten a bit too. I was able to acquire a NOS header panel (lucky me) and a slightly dinged up fender from an LJ (I'll have figure something out to cover the corner lamp hole). I will keep looking for a better fender though. Now on to the motor. I know, I know....put a Pontiac engine in it. Too late. If I would have been able to do this a long time ago, a Pontiac engine would have been a lot easier to find. As it is, I've already ordered a 350 SBC fully built and a Turbo 350 w/ Chevy bellhousing from Summit. I know I need motor mounts from Monte but any suggestions on the proper ones? I've read I need to get the accessory mounts from a Monte also, because everything's on the opposite side, any leads? I know the questions are not in the correct threads but like I said any guidance is welcome. I'm newly registered on the site but I've scoured and searched for years. I'm very anti-social so it took me a long time to even have the nerve to register, so I hope someone can help me out. I really wish I could have done this a long time ago. I really wish I had the respect in the past for my ride that I do now. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for everything.

Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I can relate to you in multiple ways, and am also holding onto 2 totalled vehicles. The engine mounts should be no problem to locate- standard GM clamshells bolted straight to the frame, and the engine side brackets come in "car" and "truck" versions with the latter being slightly taller. Use the same material for both the engine and transmission mounts- don't combine rubber at one location with polyurethane in another.

You have options for the accessory mounts: The standard Chevy V belt setup is A/C on the driver side, alternator high on the passenger and that bracketry is extremely prevalent, but you can use a serpentine belt setup from a newer vehicle if you like. As with the engine mount brackets, the truck serpentine units are a bit taller. I don't have the part numbers for any bracketry handy at the moment but I'd bet that everything you need is available from other members if necessary, although most if not all should be easy to locate.
Engine side brackets: OER-332648
Rubber engine mounts: Duralast 2292
Transmission mount: Duralast 2360
My '78 Cutlass with factory Chevy 305 is currently running 15445 and 15370 belts without A/C.
It looks like 15405, 15355 or 15555 will be what you want for the A /C.

I'm no stranger to anxiety or being antisocial so I totally understand where you're coming from.

Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Welcome aboard. Good thought on the Son/Dad project, couple of them are also resident on this board and periodically check in.

Most of the resident denizens around here absolutely groove on pictures so any pics of what you are working on at any given time can be the bomb.

Questions and other issues? Ask. Only genuinely dumb question is one that is never asked. Some answers are "Duh" obvious, just need to be pointed out; others can be real posers and whole board is never shy about kicking in suggestions or recommendation or sources for parts.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

YoDaMic

n00b
Jun 1, 2024
Yo, Thank you Sweet_Johnny & CopperNick big time! Great list to start me out Johnny. I'll definitely post pics as I can. Between work and all of life's other circumstances, I hope to be at least running by late summer. This is the only known pic....probably a couple months before my idiocy reigned supreme. I was in the garage last night starting to prep for the project and I remembered one other thing that happened that week. I was taking a cruise to the Taos Gorge in Taos, NM. Nobody else on the highway and rock from nowhere straight rolled up my hood and busted my windshield. Whatta shitty week that was. :(

My Car and Me.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor