Leaking Brake Fluid reservoir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
A few weeks ago I noticed brake fluid dripping by my master cylinder. It appeared to be coming from where the plastic reservoir meets the cylinder. Other than that the brakes operated fine. Fluid level was fine. Leak was very small.

I replaced that master cylinder (the original) with a new one. Bench bled it and installed. Bled the brakes (wheel cylinders where replaced about 15k miles ago). Took the car out for a ride and brakes felt normal. Stopped fine.

When I looked under the hood again to check everything out I noticed brake fluid was seeping out from under the reservoir cover (probably when I hit the brakes). Fluid level was not too high. Lowered level a bit and it still happens.

Any thoughts?

Maybe the resevoir is cracked or distorted?

My brand new one was leaking from the same place. I used a turkey baster to empty it and then popped the reservoir off the master. I couldn't find anything wrong so snapped it back in. It never leaked after that.
Divine intervention perhaps?

Isn't China a wonderful country?! Nothing against the people. I know they're are amongst the hardest working, most underpaid in the world. But the manufacturing standards need to improve.
Or maybe its from Mexico? Same story there too.
Just blame it on us fat, lazy Americans.

Raybestos...made in China.
Unfortunately, most North Americans don`t want to pay for North American products.

buckola said:
Raybestos...made in China.
Unfortunately, most North Americans don`t want to pay for North American products.

Yeah I know and most times you can't find them even if you wanted too.
Remember back in the day when no one wanted anything made in Japan? Now you'd be glad to get it. China will get eventually.

Yeah I know and most times you can't find them even if you wanted too.
Remember back in the day when no one wanted anything made in Japan? Now you'd be glad to get it. China will get eventually.[/quote]

Haha...unfortunately I do remember when no one wanted Japanese products. It will turn around...maybe not in my life time though.

Ok, an update . . .

It seems that the new master cylinder I installed is working fine. Fixed the leaking plastic cover were I saw fluid seeping from . . . and now I can see that I still have a small amount of fluid coming from between the master cylinder and the booster. It seems that the when the old master cylinder was leaking, It leaked most of the fluid into the booster (which I now have to replace).

And now the car is hard to start sometimes, seems to be caused at the carb. I have a feeling it may be related. Could brake fluid have been sucked from the booster through the vacuum line? There is definitely brake fluid in the hose also. Can brake fluid destroy some seals/gaskets in the carb?

It may have destroyed the diaphragm in the booster which would cause a massive vacuum leak. Try removing the hose from the booster and plugging it and see if it starts and runs better. If so, you have found a winner.

Just an update, I came across the problem--actually, there were two . . .

As I said before my old master cylinder was leaking in the back so I replaced it. Well, the new one was defective and leaking in the same spot (in the back by the piston seal).

The car was having trouble starting because the brake booster got a decent amount of brake fluid in it from the leaking MC and that must've caused a vacuum leak which was giving my carb fits.

Just replaced both and now everything fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor