Leaking intake manifold rubber seal

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
The rear rubber intake manifold seal on my Olds 260 is torn and leaking a little oil. I will get to it sometime but for now is it a big deal? Other than leaking a little oil, is it a problem? I don't think that leaky seal would cause a vacuum leak since it just vents the crankcase a little. Am I right? It didn't last long. I just replaced the intake manifold gasket a few months ago. The rubber seal is actually torn, too. Not sure how it could get torn, though. Maybe the hot oil deteriorated it? I'm going with a bead of RTV next time.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Shouldn't be that big of deal other than your going to have oil leaking on everything.

Never seen one torn, at least not that quick or while not trying to pull one off an old engine.

If you use RTV, be sure to dimple the block sealing rails and the underside of the intake with a punch. It will give the RTV something to "bite" onto.

In the past I've also just used the rubber end seals with a coating of 3M weather strip adhesive on both sides of the seal. Definitely no leaks after that! However it'll be a bear to ever remove them. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor