Least expensive coil overs available

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
The g body suspension configuration doesn't lend itself to coilovers that well. Coilovers really need longer springs that what is easily fit in a g body.

What you gain when you do coilovers is adjustable ride height from the adjusters. You can buy some dirt track spring adjusters off speedway for $25 each and weld them in, a good set of springs and adjustable shocks for less than a good set of coilovers and it will fit and work better.

Coilovers are really for McPherson strut or other setups and somehow have bled into the parallel link market found on older stuff.

Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
The g body suspension configuration doesn't lend itself to coilovers that well. Coilovers really need longer springs that what is easily fit in a g body.

What you gain when you do coilovers is adjustable ride height from the adjusters. You can buy some dirt track spring adjusters off speedway for $25 each and weld them in, a good set of springs and adjustable shocks for less than a good set of coilovers and it will fit and work better.

Coilovers are really for McPherson strut or other setups and somehow have bled into the parallel link market found on older stuff.

You're partially correct. There are limitations to the general G body design that are not ideal for coil overs, like spring length. But, given a PROPERLY engineered system, they still far out perform a regular coil sprung suspension on the same vehicle.

Reactions: 1 user

88MONTESS

Greasemonkey
Sep 27, 2009
Are your LCAs reinforced for coilovers? The entire weight of the front end resting on 4 bolts would make me uneasy.
x2.
That portion of a factory lower a-arm is only meant to support the load of a shock. The arm supports the springs load because it's distributed farther out/around the arm.
Nothing like jeopardizing your safety to save a few bucks, eh?

Coil overs are completely unnecessary. You are better off with better arms, springs, shocks, and sway bar.

Yes this is a concern. I was thinking about reinforcing them somehow. I’m not sure how I feel about everything relying on the two bolts and bar.

On the other hand I’m sure plenty of guys have had success with this setup and stork lower arms.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Yes this is a concern. I was thinking about reinforcing them somehow. I’m not sure how I feel about everything relying on the two bolts and bar.

On the other hand I’m sure plenty of guys have had success with this setup and stork lower arms.

I guess my question is why do you feel they're necessary? There are advantages to utilizing C/O's (weight savings, easy spring rate adjustability, adjustable shock, adjustable height).

Of those, adjustable shocks are already a bolt-in w/o impacting safety (your or anyone else's on the road). I can't see where the weight difference is going to matter a whole heck of a lot on a street vehicle although lighter is better. That leaves the ability to quickly change spring rates or height. When doing road-course or auto-cross @ the track, I get it. But, how often does one need to change spring rates on a street driven vehicle? I do feel the ability to adjust height is a feature that many would be like to have.

We have Ridetech HQ single-adjustable front shocks on the g-body. Just the shocks cost more than those C/O's.

Reactions: 1 users

88MONTESS

Greasemonkey
Sep 27, 2009
I guess my question is why do you feel they're necessary? There are advantages to utilizing C/O's (weight savings, easy spring rate adjustability, adjustable shock, adjustable height).

Of those, adjustable shocks are already a bolt-in w/o impacting safety (your or anyone else's on the road). I can't see where the weight difference is going to matter a whole heck of a lot on a street vehicle although lighter is better. That leaves the ability to quickly change spring rates or height. When doing road-course or auto-cross @ the track, I get it. But, how often does one need to change spring rates on a street driven vehicle? I do feel the ability to adjust height is a feature that many would be like to have.

We have Ridetech HQ single-adjustable front shocks on the g-body. Just the shocks cost more than those C/O's.

I’m really only interested because if the ability to adjust height.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
The fact that it's a coilover doesn't mean squat in terms of performance. That said, most coilover dampers tend to be geared toward a stiffer spring than your run of the mill shock. If all you're after is adjustable height, the smart/cheap option would be the aforementioned roundy round adjustable perches zapped onto your existing control arms. And please for the love of God go with something much more substantial than a 350# front spring.

Reactions: 1 users

88MONTESS

Greasemonkey
Sep 27, 2009
The fact that it's a coilover doesn't mean squat in terms of performance. That said, most coilover dampers tend to be geared toward a stiffer spring than your run of the mill shock. If all you're after is adjustable height, the smart/cheap option would be the aforementioned roundy round adjustable perches zapped onto your existing control arms. And please for the love of God go with something much more substantial than a 350# front spring.

Ok You guys have convinced me. I will likely just do a set of springs.

I really need to get something on the car because the 90/10 trick spring combo is wayyyyy to soft for street driving.

83beater

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2019
Ok You guys have convinced me. I will likely just do a set of springs.

I really need to get something on the car because the 90/10 trick spring combo is wayyyyy to soft for street driving.
I did 2* lowering springs and the stance is perfect for me.and the handling. Is on point

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor