Lifter Tick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Hey everyone! So as some of you know i got a 1963 Mercury Monterey with a 352. Anyways i have not had alot of time to work on the car since i started my new job and life has been a bit hectic right now. Well the car sat for about a month and a half. Tomorrow i was going to bring it to my shop to safety it. Anyways of course the battery had a low charge and it died, but before it died i noticed the starter was stuck engaged. So has i attached my new battery and immediately started cranking. I let it sit for a bit and tried and again and it didnt happen again. So after numerous pumping and cranking it finnaly started, but then i noticed a loud tapping/ticking noice coming from the left rocker cover. It increased with engine RPM. Now could this be just one of the lifters since its been sitting all the oil drained out of it? It runs fine not smoking anything blue,black,or white. Oil pressure is good and car isnt overheating. ANy ideas?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
If it's lifter tick you could substitute 1qt of engine oil for Marvel Mystery Oil and run it for a while. We've had pretty good success with that at work. Your noise might also be a small piece of carbon that broke loose inside one of the combustion chambers and is being smacked between the piston and the head. That often sounds more like a rod knock.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
DRIVEN said:
If it's lifter tick you could substitute 1qt of engine oil for Marvel Mystery Oil and run it for a while. We've had pretty good success with that at work. Your noise might also be a small piece of carbon that broke loose inside one of the combustion chambers and is being smacked between the piston and the head. That often sounds more like a rod knock.

It sounds more of a lifter ticking more than a knock thank god. Well i know i need to change the oil when i bring it to the shop, were would you get this Mystery oil from ?

Blacktiger355

Apprentice
Jun 12, 2013
Kettering, Ohio
Lorenzo said:
It sounds more of a lifter ticking more than a knock thank god. Well i know i need to change the oil when i bring it to the shop, were would you get this Mystery oil from ?

Most any auto parts store will have it. Even wal-mart sells it. Check near the oil with all the other additives.

This is the stuff you want.
http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/mmo/

Good stuff to have around.

woody31

Greasemonkey
Feb 5, 2012
the marvel mystery oil is great stuff,,have used it on various projects over the years,,you can even get it a dollar general store,,3 bucks for a 12 oz bottle..i would put it in and run it for a good bit and see how it goes,,what type of oil do you plan on putting back in it??

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
I was just thinking some 10w 30 with a Defense Filter, any suggestions instead of that?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The older engines had pretty sloppy tolerances even when new and most were designed for straight 30w. 10w30 is pretty light.

79malibubbctt

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2011
cb, ia
I always run 10w40. Pull a valve cover off a wiggle the rocker arms. This will tell you which lifters have bleed down. If your nit in a big hurry you can pull that lifter out and let it soak in oil for a few hours. Just make sure it goes back in the same spot. Then readjust the rocker arm.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Well good news guys the tick is gone. FInally was able to drive it down to my shop to do the safety. It has been sitting since Easter in my driveway. She drove like a new car :D didnt give me any problems. About 10 minutes driving and it was gone. Changed the oil aswell. Only thing it needs for safety is a fuel line and thats all

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor