Lifting body for mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Im in the process of doing body mounts. The front 6 mounts came out fine but the rear 6 all had to be cut out from the top except 1 which was completely missing :x Anyway I got them all off so the body is just resting on the frame but I have a few questions...

1) I planned on using my engine hoist to lift the body at the trunk latch or the seat belt bolts. Which one is best or should I do 1 before the other?

2) How far can I lift the rear section of the body up without causing damage? The front clip is on and so are the doors. The rear will have to be higher for some welding.

3) Anything I need to disconnect to raise the body? I took the brake lines out of the clips on the frame so they can raise with the body.

4) Is it better to do one side at a time or lift the rear, then the middle, then the front?

Thanks for any input.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If the radiator and fan shroud are out of the car, could you unbolt the radiator support and lift the whole body carefully at the rocker panels? One side at a time, use a 4x4 post the length of the rocker to spread the load, then put on jackstands or stacks of wood blocks. Avoid opening the doors while it's levitated. The gas tank filler will need some help depending upon how high you need to lift. Keep the fender liners installed to brace the front clip.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
The radiator and hoses are still in but since the front doesnt need to be as raised as the rear im thinking I should be able to lift it enough to slide the bushings in there. The hoses should flex the little bit it needs to go. The radiator support is unbolted from the frame. I forgot to mention that the rear bumper cover and support will be coming off to make life a little easier. Thanks for the input, jacking from the rockers was my first idea but didnt wanna risk damaging them, I guess a 4x4 would help.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
I have one that is missing- right rear in wheel well- how did you get to this one from the top? Any pictures so I know what I gotta do? Its the one toward the rear of the wheel opening.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
At least pull the fan off so you don't booger your radiator core. Pay attention to your angle when lifting so you don't load the rad support with the weight of the whole front of the body and risk bending up your fenders.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
When I did my body mounts, I lifted one side at a time using a 2 x 4 under the rocker panels. I think I also loosened the bumpers so they didn't squish my fillers. I lifted the body high enough to fit the mounts between the body and frame. In your case, if you have welding to do on the frame, it will have to be raised higher for better access.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Flyers9928 said:
I have one that is missing- right rear in wheel well- how did you get to this one from the top? Any pictures so I know what I gotta do? Its the one toward the rear of the wheel opening.
I just cut a 3x3" square hole in the trunk right above the mount. I had to do that to 6 of them! Its gonna look like sh*t but im gonna put a thick bedliner like paint in the trunk to help hide the welds and then the carpet will cover up the 2 I had to cut inside.

ssn696 said:
At least pull the fan off so you don't booger your <span class="skimwords-potential">radiator core</span><span style="position: absolute;"></span><span style="position: absolute;"></span>. Pay attention to your angle when lifting so you don't load the rad support with the weight of the whole front of the body and risk bending up your fenders.
I have an electric fan.

After doing some more searching I think im just gonna do it one side at a time so all the weight isnt on one end of the body. Obviously doors will stay shut but I still don't wanna risk folding it.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
To be honest with you I always remove the front clip. It's easy to do so why not. Drop the gas tank, disconnect transmission linkage and cables, Unclip some lines and wires and you can lift the body as high as you want. Unbolting the master cylinder from the booster can save some time over bleeding the brakes. I think it's just easier than fighting extremely tight spaces to do the work. But be careful with you distributor while moving the body, the housings can be bent pretty easy. Just a little bend can cause misfires that will drive you nuts until you realize what's causing it.

442_87

Apprentice
Jul 19, 2014
I just cut a 3x3" square hole in the trunk right above the mount. I had to do that to 6 of them! Its gonna look like sh*t but im gonna put a thick bedliner like paint in the trunk to help hide the welds and then the carpet will cover up the 2 I had to cut inside.

I have an electric fan.

After doing some more searching I think im just gonna do it one side at a time so all the weight isnt on one end of the body. Obviously doors will stay shut but I still don't wanna risk folding it.

Do you have any pictures of your progress? As i will need to do the same this summer..

Thanks

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Do you have any pictures of your progress? As i will need to do the same this summer..

Thanks
No unfortunately I don't have any photos. The car is still hoisted in the air with the cherry picker because I lost motivation from the cold and I needed a break from it. I also bought a daily driver that needs attention so my funds are being funneled into that at the moment. I want to get it done before summer though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor