Lightening the load

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbody79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2010
This is my first project car and I am really getting alot of help from everyone here, so thanks. I bought a 79 monte for 400 bucks and it needs alot of work. Alot of stuff is missing so I am not really to worried about keeping things original. So I have decided to save some weight and clean up the engine bay by getting rid of the AC/Heat box and putting in a S-10 manual steering box. Anyone got any other bright ideas to shave some weight and clean up the engine bay. I'm thinking about manual brakes, anyone have any experience with this. Thanks

There are lots of little things you can do to make a car lighter, eg. move the battery to the trunk(weight transfer), fiberglass/aluminum hood, aluminum intake/heads, remover power locks radio and interior parts. I would not however mess with my brakes. The faster you are the better your brakes need to be. just my 2 cents

Yeah Iv'e been thinking about it, I guess I will keep the power brakes. Thanks for the other ideas though.

just to double check, is this a drag car or a street car?

It's gonna be a street car. I'm not really trying to go crazy with shaveing off some pounds. It's just that the car has so much stuff missing and i'm on a limited budget, that I just want to get the monte running on the basics, know what I mean?

i've driven cars with mechanical steering, it sucks. i understand it if you're on the strip and need to save every pound possible, but i wouldn't on the street.

There are a lot of easy cheap things you can do to get a few extra horses or save a few pounds and a lot of guys here will help you figure that stuff out, but don't sacrifice safety just for a little bit of performance. You can keep your steering and brakes and still have a bad *ss street car for a decent price.

Thanks fellas, i'm happy with all the feedback. I'm def gonna keep the power brakes and steering.

unfortunately, on a budget there isn't much you can do other than the battery to the trunk, and the driver mod :lol:
BUT you won't really notice it. it's when you need every .01sec that you need to really worry about weight. but if you can somehow do an aluminum block/head engine, THAT will make a HUGE difference. the 2 best are the LS series and the ZL-1, good luck with those though!

i did nothing for weight on my monte, iron block and heads etc. she moves! :twisted: people say g-body's are heavy, sorry but no. they weigh about 3-3500lbs. hell i've seen honda accords weigh that much! and the weight distribution is ok.
all in all for a cruiser they don't need much more than power. for handling or drag time, yeah you need work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor