looking for a dash pod

Status
Not open for further replies.

awesome79elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 10, 2006
arkansas
i have a 79 el camino, and i am looking for a specific gauge pod to install in it. i need to install a complete set of gauges and i am having trouble devising a way to do this. i would like to install a set of nordskog digital gauges, but i don't particularly care for the set they offer as a direct fit for my car. the panel i would actually like to install would be the universal 6 gauge set http://www.nordskogperformance.net/prod ... p10002.htm

now for the real question... is there another gauges pod that would allow me to install this particular setup. perhaps a pod with a long sweep speedometer? i don't know but any input would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
James

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
nothings that long. the closest would be the style that came in the iraqi taxi's. even then, you would have to use both vent locations. it may work if you blocked them off. that gauge does look a lot better than the malibu one. the camaro one sucks too.

80ECLT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2006
Wisconsin
What the heck is an iraqi taxi? I am assuming it is a boxy Caprice/impala.

Please enlighten me, I have heard this term quite often.

Thanks!

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
In 1981, GM built a number of 4 door Malibus for shipment to Iraq. These cars were equipped with the 3.8lt (229 cu in) Chev V6, a 3 speed Saginaw manual transmission with a floor shifter, A/C, and the long (not circular) 200km/hr speedometer. The last shipment of these cars was not accepted by Iraq, and the cars were equipped with North American emission controls and sold in Canada-mainly in southern Ontario. Over the years, I owned 2 of these cars. They weren't fast, but they were reliable, and good transportation. I still have the manual trans parts from one of them that I am saving for a future manual trans A/G body project.

80ECLT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2006
Wisconsin
I see... Funny, I have never heard of such a thing before. How did you know that it was one of those cars, just the odd options list?? In a way, I am glad they didnt get them!! Keep them in NA.

gman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 3, 2006
Winnipeg
Iraqi Taxis were only made in Canada and only in 81. If you have a made in Canada malibu and it has a 3.8 with a manual trans with floor shift and a 4 dr. it might be an Iraqi Taxi. Mine is documented by GM Canada as one. My understanding is a bunch were ordered by the Iraqi government and some were shipped. Then they stopped paying for them so shipping was stopped. Apparently about 10,000 stayed in Canada.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I believe that the final shipment of cars stayed in Canada. The odd option list was one way to tell that the car was an Iraqi taxi. The majority of Malibus with V6s came with the 231 Buick V6, as opposed to the 229 Chev V6. The Iraqi cars had a fairly heavy duty A/C system on them, using the older style long 6 cylinder A/C compressor, as opposed to the newer style radial compressor. The long 200km/hr speedo was an indication that you had an Iraqi car as well.

ryanelco

Apprentice
May 9, 2007
i just swapped a dashboard form an 88 ss monte into my car. (78 el camino) no cracks, i now have spots for speakers and i also put a 115 mph speedo, tach and fuel, volts, oil press, and water temp gauges into my car, using the new gauge cluster by swapping the pins on your wiring harness so everything matches. looks great and appears stock too, but anybody that knows g body's will see that the dash is from a later model g body and the gauge cluster is from an ss monte.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
email the company for messurements of that unit see how much youll have to cut or make fit.or you could get a grand prix dash since it has the round holes mount all the gauges you like in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor