Looking For A Deal On A G-body Power Door Lock Relay?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Piddling around like I always do, I went over to Rockauto.com to get something else and just HAPPENED to check and see what they had on the shelf that I could possibly use.
Just so happens they have ACDelco Door Lock Relay, #D1748A. This corresponds to GM p/n 20334449. This fits Ciera, but NOT G47 Cutlass (which uses p/n 20306055). The cool part is this- they use a different casing/mount bracket that bolts to the body, BUT, the guts are the same. The ground wire is soldered onto the outside casing. Careful de-soldering of the grounding wire plus bending out the case/cover crimps allows you to change your dead G-body relay cover/bracket over to the NEW relay guts. Recrimp, then resolder the wire onto the casing and presto. Brand new unobtanium relay.

The best part of the day is that the relay was on wholesaler closeout for 8.63 but with the 5% discount, I got it for $8.20.
1702521722474.png

20334449 (D1748A)
1702522837852.png

ry547_top-jpg.90338

Reactions: 5 users

lucky 1985

Apprentice
May 5, 2016
Hey 69hurstolds, this info really helped me out. I just ordered the purported "last one in stock" from RockAuto.

Reactions: 1 user

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
As our classic cars get older, finding replacement parts gets harder and harder. When found, most of the time due to the limited supply, the parts are expensive. That being said, this find is an exception. However, sometimes, there are other options available to solve this dilemma.

Below is an option I found on another G-Body site. With a little thinking outside the box and some know-how, we are not locked into using old parts. Check it out and you'll find it to be a great option.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
This may apply to all G-body PDLs, so I stole the picture from El Camino Central forum and pasted it here. In case anyone wanted to tackle it. And for those who weren't aware, the older G-body electric power antenna relays use the clunky magnetic switch relays too, but somehwere in the mid-80s they swapped those over to the more modern relay. Keep in mind all these older relays are upgradable to the newer style, but pigtails and wiring must be modified to do it.

Either way works, I just like keeping things the way GM sent them out whenever possible. Easier that way.

elcaminodoorrelays-png.154429

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Something I have been forgetting to add to this thread is there are some options out there for a replacement relay. One of the Montes or Luminas I grabbed a RKE unit out of I also grabbed the realy since it was easier to take it with all the wiring I pulled with it (like the almost complete front to rear for the RKE). It does have the same set up as ours but needs an external gounding as it has a plastic body. So grabbing one of these with the connector pig tail could be spliced in (easier way) or like me replace the old 56 type terminals for the correct ones for the connector. The only color change is for wiring is the black wire in our cars is a white wire the those cars since it uses a black ground wire.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor